Default Stanley to Forks

Hi
    I'm part way through planning a trip out of Seattle over to Yellowstone/Tetons/Sawtooth mountains and am not sure of the most scenic way to get back from Stanley via Mount Rainier to Forks area (Hoh Rainforest) before flying back to the UK from Tacoma.
    Should I go via Portland or through Walla Walla/Kenewick?

Many thanks.
    Richard from Wales

Default If It Were up to Me

Croeso! Cymru am byth! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you want scenery and are already planning on including the Sawtooth on your way back to Tacoma, then I'd head down the Columbia River Gorge to Portland, continue on to Astoria and follow US-101 along the coast north to Forks. Not only is the Historic Columbia River Highway a scenic drive in its own right, but there are at least half a dozen waterfalls just a short walk off the road. In addition, since you're going to Forks, you might be interested in stopping for lunch here.

AZBuck

Diolch yn fawr!
    You've confirmed my suspicions just have to fit in Mt Rainier and convince the wife about the extra mileage though I guess the roads may be quicker than going northish to Kenewick from Stanley. Yes, the Sawtooths look fanatastic, spending two nights there so we should get one good day hike in.

Still cold here in Snowdonia but the daffodils are out.
    Pob hwyl!
    hem66

I'd have to concur, head down to the Columbia River Gorge, it is such a magnificent drive and so much to see. On your way to Mt Rainier, you will be passing by Mt St Helens, well worth a stop if the weather is clear. No need to drive all the way there, as the visitor centre will advice if it is worth going all the way.

Enjoy that gem in central Idaho, which is Stanley, with Stanley Lake, Red Fish Lake and sunrise over the Sawtooths. A little piece of heaven.

Lifey who has fond memories of Stanley

Thankyou, Google says it is a 10hour drive from Stanley to Portland. Do you have any recommendation of where to stop for the night between the two?
    Many thanks.

Default Go a Little Beyond the Midpoint

Halfway is Baker City, but I'd leave more time on the second day for exploring the Columbia Gorge and aim for Pendleton or even Stanfield/Hermiston.

AZBuck