1. Default 20 day trip, NYC to Los Angeles, January 2012

Hey,

I've been aiming to go on this trip for over a year now, and this coming winter, I'll finally be in a position to do it. Two friends and I are going to drive from New York City to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Santa Fe, New Mexico, and Los Angeles.

We're not trying to see most things along the way. Our main destinations are the three cities. We have friends there, and we'll most likely be staying with them. We'll be 20 at the time of the trip.

I was just wondering if you guys had any tips. Any questions are welcome.

Default What Did You Have in Mind?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If your trip really is going to be about the cities and you have friends there, then they are in a far better position to direct you to sites that you'll all enjoy than we are. But I'm curious as to what you had in mind for the drives in between the cities. How long were you planning to take? What, very generally, would you like to see on the way? I hope you weren't just planning on blasting down the highway and bypassing all the wonders that America has to offer.

AZBuck

3. Default

We'll be passing through several interesting places, like Dallas, Knoxville, and Chattanooga. Ideally, We'd get to Baton rouge in 3 days. We'll be doing a rotation, probably 2-3 hours of driving total for each of us.

Default Own transport ?

I presume it is a round trip and that you have your own transport ? Car rental is extremely difficult to find under 21 years of age and under 25 there will be a surcharge on a daily basis for anyone wishing to drive under that age.

A round trip will be about 10/11 days of driving for 10/11 hours a day, so you will have some time with your mates in the city but not loads to spare. You may as well pick a different route home and see more of the country, perhaps through Utah and Colorado.

Have a look around RTA for suggestions and info and the Map centre is a good place to find places of interest along your route. If you have any specific questions just ask away !

5. Default

Yeah, we have our own transport. Our route home will probably be the most direct route from Los Angeles to New York City. We plan to stop 1 day in Louisiana, 2 in New Mexico, and 2-3 in Los Angeles.

6. Default

The time for my trip is approaching, and I'm trying to get some solid planning done. What kinds of costs will I be looking at, other than gas, food, lodging, and repairs? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm considering budgeting a total of $4-5k for this trip.

If all you are going to do is drive from city to city, I don't see any significant additional expenses, and 4 to 5 k should be adequate.

At $200 plus per day for expenses I don't think you have anything to worry about in particular, but if that is for everything for all 3 of you, you will have to be sensible with your money.

You should allow 5 days in your planning for the "direct route home". If you have any concerns/specific questions that you want advice on just ask.

The only thing that may crunch that budget is gas prices. You may want to plot out your whole route, add 20% to the point to point miles, calculate what kind of gas mileage the car gets in mixed driving, and run some numbers with possible dollars per gallon figures.