1. Default Driving from Jackson,MS to Colorado through New Mexico

Help! I'm driving to Alma Colorado (near Breckinridge) and really want to see New Mexico, esp. Santa Fe. Does anyone have any suggestions about the best (most scenic) route?I haven't traveled in a long time and am desparate to make the most of this trip. Any suggestions would be helpful,especially about safe campgrounds (woman traveling alone). Oh,I am comong from Jackson,MS.

Default 2 to 1 Margin

Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! It turns out the ratio of solo woman travelers to solo men travelers is nearly 2 to 1, so you're in good company. Here is a discussion from, (at the time of the first post) a new solo roadtripper and what she learned about the experience.

The planning process

The post-trip adventure report

An article I wrote about some solo travel tips

A discussion about solo tripping and camping

Some more tips from a long-time solo traveler

What are the dates for this trip going to be? How many days do you have to make it?

Reason I ask is this is in the "spring" section, and what roads are open after the winter is quite dependent on the exact dates.

4. Default help!

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    What are the dates for this trip going to be? How many days do you have to make it?

Reason I ask is this is in the "spring" section, and what roads are open after the winter is quite dependent on the exact dates.
    Probably from March 15 to March 26, tenitavely. I hope no roads are closed,or I am screwed!

There will still be some mountain passes that are closed, but nothing that would affect your ability to get to Alma, barring a late season snowstorm. CO-9 is maintained year round from I-70 to US-285.

Considering that you could conceivably get from Jackson to Alma in 2 long days of driving, it appears that you have plenty of time to make this quite a sightseeing trip. What are some of the things you want to see in NM? What about between there and Alma?