1. Default Planning 6 Week Trip With 2 Dogs

My wife and I are going to be taking a road trip in the end of September, and we are planning on bringing our 2 dogs. I have purchased a few books and have been browsing the forums here, which have been very helpful. I was hoping to get some input from some of the experts on this site.
    I have attatched an itinerary that friends of ours did last year. They did it in 4 weeks, and our trip will be done in 6 weeks. We are using the itinerary as a reference and will probably modify it quite a bit. One addition is to go more into the pacific northwest. We would like to drive through northern California and continue through Oregon into Washingon and possibly cross the border and spend a day in Vancouver.
    Our plan is to rent a mini van and stay in motels some nights and other nights spend the night in the back of the mini van. Will I be able to find safe places along the way to park the minivan? I was thinking that campgrounds would be a good option.
    Our 2 dogs are 30lbs, very well behaved and can be left in motel rooms without a problem. However I would like to hear if anyone has had any personal experience with traveling cross country with their dog.
    I know this is going to be an awful lot of driving and I would love to hear any opinions or suggestions that you may have. We are in the early stages of planning this trip. Hopefully the itinerary that I attatched is legible.

Attached Images Attached Images

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Sorry, but that itinerary is not even close to being readable.

In any case, while it never hurts to take input from what others have done, I'd strongly encourage you to plot out your own route first - based on what you want to do, not what someone else did. Afterall, that is the beauty of the roadtrip - it is all about you, and crossing things off your own list, not someone else. If you start your plan based on someone else's list, its quite possible you'll leave out places that are more suited to your own tastes.

Traveling with dogs can be a little bit of a challenge - especially when visiting national parks. Dogs typically are very restricted within the parks, and are only allowed in common areas like parking lots and campgrounds - they are not usually allowed on trails or at major viewpoints.