1. Default Road rules...AZ & NV

Hey roadtrippers...

I'm gearing up for my dream roadtrip in March/April 2011 - Las Vegas/Death Valley/Route 66/Grand Canyon/Monument Valley/Las Vegas with various bits in between...

I am a very average but very keen photographer, and I was wondering whether it is permissable to pull onto the side of the road if there is no lookout point/rest stop to take some photos. Most of these will be in the desert/in rural areas. Are there any laws against this in the USA? (oh yeah I'm a Brit so my main worry should probably be driving on the other side of the road!!)

Thanks in advance...any other tips greatly appreciated too!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Generally speaking, yes that will be fine. It is rare when there is any problem with pulling onto the shoulder for a short time. You can't do it for an extended period (beyond a few hours) but just doing it to take some pictures won't be a problem.

The one exception is along the Interstate, where "Emergency Stopping Only" is the rule of thumb. In those cases it is not legal (or safe) to pull over to take pictures.

Tucson, AZ

Default Chances Are

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you were to pick a random piece of land in either of those two state, chances are that it would belong to the Government in one form or another. But which jurisdiction and which rules apply? Is it National Park, Indian Reservation, National Forest, State Trust Lands, Bureau of Land Management, Military Reservation (Bombing Range), What? And if it's private land, is the owner one of those who takes seriously his right to defend his property with the use of deadly force? All of this is by way of saying that I wouldn't just go wandering off willy-nilly just because the land seems to be vacant. And that doesn't even begin to address the various critters such as rattle snakes, scorpions, gila monsters, javelinas, etc. that you might encounter.

However, all that said, if you're just looking to stop along the road to take some snaps, that's fine as long as you observe two rules: 1) Pull completely off the surfaced roadway so that you are not an impediment or danger to other traffic. 2) Don't go so far off the roadway as to be trespassing. American roads are quite wide by European, especially (if you'll forgive me) by British standards, and have broad shoulders or berms that are typically dirt. Note that the berms are part of the public right-of-way and you have every right to the use of them. And when I was taking photojournalism classes back in the early '70s I learned that you are within your rights to take a picture of anything you can see from a public place.

4. Default

Thank you very much for your replies - really useful info! Can't wait to get snapping!