1. Default Trying to avoid Juarez while traveling east - any good alternative routes?

Need to go from Truth or Consequences, to Carlsbad, NM - and the Google route has us taking I-10 south and then 180 east. If possible, I would rather take another route and avoid being near the border.

What would you recommend as an alternative route? We have a small travel trailer (21') and would like to make the drive within one day but if there was somewhere pretty to camp/see - we don't mind making it a two day drive.

Thank you!

Welcome!

Take I-25 north to US-380, take that to Roswell. Same mileage, probably just as fast. Figure about 6 hours or so if you are towing.

For what its worth, traveling near the border really isn't much of an issue. While Juarez is one of the most violent cities in the world, there has been very little spillover into El Paso. In fact, El Paso has one of the lowest crime rates in the US for a city of its size (2nd best according to one study).

Juarez had 3000+ homicides in 2010, El Paso had 5.

There is no way I would travel to Juarez for any reason right now, but if my travel plans took me through El Paso, I wouldn't worry about it at all. There's nothing at all wrong with the alternate route GLC recommends, but I wouldn't reroute just because of fear.

Roswell may make for an interesting stop for a couple hours or so. I don't know how "pretty" that route would be though.

5. Default

Thanks for the help!

Default Eye opener.

For what its worth, traveling near the border really isn't much of an issue. While Juarez is one of the most violent cities in the world, there has been very little spillover into El Paso. In fact, El Paso has one of the lowest crime rates in the US for a city of its size (2nd best according to one study).
    Funny enough I was watching a UK Documentary last night [Ross Kemp for those familiar] which backed up your statement, except they announced it the most dangerous City in the world. When the film crew were crossing the border a border guard said "You don't want to go in there, it's dangerous". Kemp replied "It's OK we have been filming in Afghanistan". Guard says "Oh It's much worse than Afghanistan". By the number of deaths that they came across in their week of filming , [over 36 I think] and the brutality of them, I don't doubt it.

As mentioned, on US soil in El Paso it was a different world and a safe environment, or safer than all other City's in the US.