Thread: Tipping

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default Tipping

Hey, i thought there would be a thread on this (i did search) but couldnt find anything.

Just wondering about tipping, like is just just in restaurants and hotels and like what % to give, since its alot more relaxed over here, its worked into the basic wage, just wondering what to expect so i dont give to little/to much in certain situations.

Default basics

The most important one for tipping is food service. Waiters/Waitresses often make less than the minimum wage, under the expectations that they'll earn their pay with tips. When dining out, you should expect to tip them at least 15% of the bill. If you get great service, you can certainly go up to 20% or more. You should similarly tip bartenders, although if you are eating fast food/order at a counter restaurants a tip is not typically expected (some places will have a tip jar.)

Otherwise, tipping for good service never hurts. Tipping your cab driver is common, and leaving something for your hotel housekeeper for good service can be a good idea. There are certainly more details, and you could probably find lots of guidelines by doing a google search, but the basics you really need to remember is that giving something extra to someone who goes the extra mile is always a good idea.

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

ah okay thanks, yeah i would of automatically tipped in restaurants and hotels, but thing like bartenders is just unheard of over here so i probably would of forgot in that case

Bartender tipping tends to be a little less formal. If I'm running a tab, I'll just leave the tip in that same 15-20% percentage. If I'm just paying cash, I'll let them keep the change on a drink, or leave a buck or two if I'm ordering several.