Default Pioneertown to Bartsow, Ca. Route 247?

hi folks,
    I'm in the very early stages of planning. We aren't doing a true roadtrip as we are going to be based in Anaheim for a 10 night holiday flying from the UK, 24th Oct til 3rd Nov, but we do want to see a couple of things that mean we may book a motel somewhere else for a night or two.

We (2 adults, 2 teens) specifically want to visit Pioneertown and Calico. I just wanted to ask if it would a good choice to visit both within a day of each other by driving from Pioneertown to Barstow (or the reverse) along route 247 rather than head out to each destination from Anaheim on two separate occasions. Is route 247 very scenic? Anything to stop and see along the way, anywhere to grab a snack?

We aren't hikers but don't mind short walks along reasonable terrain (trainers/sneakers, we won't have hiking boots) and are interested in the typical tourist things like Route 66 and the history of the area. I'm a big fan of pioneer history, ghost towns, wide open roads, scenic deserts and mountains.

Would route 247 be a road just to get from A to B without heading back to the I15, or is there more to it than just a convenient-looking 'short cut'?

Hello and welcome back to RTA !

There isn't right or wrong answer as to whether to take a couple of separate trips or do them together, but getting in and out of the urban sprawl can be time consuming with heavy traffic so doing it just once might be appealing. With a couple of nights away you could perhaps venture into Joshua tree NP and the Mojave National preserve.

I am not sure if it is a revision of this trip, but as you mentioned not being keen on City life, it could be a welcome break away from it.

Southwest Dave,
    is it really a year ago that I posted that thread?! Time flies. I should apologise now for not saying thank you at the time for the replies.

The trip to Calico and Pioneertown aren't quite the same trip I planned back in March of last year. This is a very much scaled down version in terms of the distances that we will cover. We're trying to do some US on a budget and found it cheaper to fly into LAX. We are saving Utah, Arizona and Nevada for another time, hopefully in a RV.

Most of our holiday will be centred around the LA theme parks (for the teens), visiting the coast (Santa Monica pier and some beaches), Hollywood and Griffith Park.

The original plan was to just drive to Barstow and stay for one night and do Calico, but I keep finding things I want to see so am thinking maybe get up early on a Saturday, drive towards Pioneertown (would like to be there around 2.30 pm for the shootout) and visit some of Joshua Tree NP either before or after Pioneertown, then take the drive up the 247 and stay somewhere near Barstow or Victorville for the night. The next morning we'd do Calico and the Mother Road Route 66 Museum and maybe drive a bit further east on the I15 or I40 although I haven't checked out what there is to see on these routes. I see that Route 66 follows the I40 and would like to see whether there are any tourist traps to visit along that stretch of the old road. Then we'd just turn around and come back down the I15 towards Anahiem, with a stop at the outlets outside of Barstow on the way (although it would be Sunday, so have to do some closing time checks).

Initally I was wondering if the 247 had anything worth stopping for along the way, and mainly to check that it's a decent enough road as we'll only have a plain old intermediate Alamo car rental!

But any tips would be good :-) There's such a wealth of info on here I don't really know where to start...a search for route 247 bought up 5 pages of hits LOL.

So far I've found this page which looks useful for the information on the stretch from east of Barstow down to San Bernadino. I haven't yet looked for information on the Joshua Tree area.

I've never been on it but I hear that 247 is a good road. It's a fairly narrow 2 lane road and is mostly desert, avoiding populated areas.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I've never been on it but I hear that 247 is a good road. It's a fairly narrow 2 lane road and is mostly desert, avoiding populated areas.
    thanks for replying glc. I'm now trying to make a decision between seeing the Mojave Desert and Joshua Tree NP or Calico and the Mojave Desert. I'm a bit concerned about driving times. It all looks close together on a map, but I'm sure it's very different in reality!

It shouldn't be too difficult to measure mileage on a map and calculate rough driving times. Unless the road is winding and/or mountainous and/or goes through heavily populated areas, you can figure on doing about 50 mph for rough planning purposes. You could also plot out a route on something like Google Maps and add 20% to its calculated drive times. You won't be able to average 50 mph inside parks such as Joshua Tree, it takes time to sightsee and the speed limits are generally lower in parks than outside on desert highways.