1. Default Seattle, WA to Hyder, AK

My wife and I are planning yet another trip to the US (third time in three years), and this time to visit the Pacific Northwest including a trip to Alaska to - hopefully - see bears catching salmon in the river at Fish Creek, Hyder.

We plan to leave Seattle on Aug 20th and travel directly to Hyder, leaving other sites in Canada like Jasper and Banff to the return trip. How many days should we set aside for this 1.000 mile trip (we are in no hurry as we have 28 days for spare)?. Are the any sights we must see on the way? What are the best places for overnight stops?

And finally, any suggestions as to where to stay (hotels/motels) in Hyder/Stewart?

Thank you in advance
    Geert Feenstra
    Denmark

Welcome!

I would allow at least 3 days to get from Seattle to Hyder. You might want to consider renting the car in Vancouver instead of Seattle - a car rented in the US must be returned in the US and vice versa. The only city of any size between Hope and Stewart is Prince George. Williams Lake and Quesnel appear to have some choices.

A Google search shows 2 hotels in Hyder, 3 hotels and 2 B&B's in Stewart.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gefe View Post
    My wife and I are planning yet another trip to the US (third time in three years), and this time to visit the Pacific Northwest including a trip to Alaska to - hopefully - see bears catching salmon in the river at Fish Creek, Hyder.

We plan to leave Seattle on Aug 20th and travel directly to Hyder, leaving other sites in Canada like Jasper and Banff to the return trip. How many days should we set aside for this 1.000 mile trip (we are in no hurry as we have 28 days for spare)?. Are the any sights we must see on the way? What are the best places for overnight stops?

And finally, any suggestions as to where to stay (hotels/motels) in Hyder/Stewart?

Thank you in advance
    Geert Feenstra
    Denmark
    Hi,

I live in Hyder and make that trip twice a year...I would take in Barkersville, which is about 60 miles east of Quesnel...This was a gold rush town in the 1800s that has been brought back to life...Every town between Seattle and Hyder have good places to stay the night.
    When in Hyder, be sure to take in the Salmon Glacier, it will be one of the highlights of your trip...Have a good time. Gary

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sealaskainn View Post
    Hi,

I live in Hyder and make that trip twice a year...I would take in Barkersville, which is about 60 miles east of Quesnel...This was a gold rush town in the 1800s that has been brought back to life...Every town between Seattle and Hyder have good places to stay the night.
    When in Hyder, be sure to take in the Salmon Glacier, it will be one of the highlights of your trip...Have a good time. Gary
    Thank you very much for your reply. Salmon Glacier is already on our list of sights to see and I have now added Barkersville.
    Two more questions:
    What are the chances of actually seeing bears at Fish Creek in late august? And do I need to book accommodation along the route in advance?