1. Default LA - Death Valley - Vegas - Grand Canyon - Route 66 - Mojave desert - LA... in 6 days

Hi There,

Great website, hope you guys can help me out.
    I am planning a road trip in march with a friend of mine.
    We're from the Netherlands by the way.

The subject covers it all, those are the places we would like to visit. If necessary we can skip some places but we really want to visit Death Valley, Las Vegas (to visit a friend), Grand Canyon and Mojave Desert.
    We don't care about driving long distances but of course we would like to wander around as well so let's say maximum 5 - 6 hours of driving a day. We like scenic routes, we prefer to visit scenic spots by ourselves so if possible not with guided tours. We have no camping gear so we have to spend the night in motels, hotels or lodges.

I read some posts on this forum and used Google Earth a lot as well and eventually came up with this route:

Click here for route in google maps

Day 1 - AMS - LAX arrival in afternoon (Jetlag so we will sleep early)

Day 2 - LA via Bakerfield, Lake Isabella (Kern River Canyon) to Ridgecrest

Day 3 - Ridgecrest to Death Valley, spend the night at Furness Creek

Day 4 - Furness Creek - Las Vegas, spend the night at a friend's place

Day 5 - Las vegas via Hoover Dam to Grand Canyon (Where should we go?)
    Anyone familiar with the Quartermaster Point? click to view in google maps

Day 6 - Grand Canyon via Route 66 to Kingman, spend the night there

Day 7 - Kingman via Mojave Desert and Route 66 back to LA. I have to visit Kelso, for personal reasons.

Day 8 - LAX - AMS departure in afternoon

Is this a realistic route? Do we still have time to get out of the car and actually enjoy the view? Or is there a better route? Please let me know! Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by rensvanbro; 02-19-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: grammatic errors

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

For the Grand Canyon, I'd highly recommend you visit the National Park. The point you mentioned appears to be part of Grand Canyon West, which is the indian reservation land where you'll also find the skywalk. It is very expensive to visit, and the views aren't the same as you'll find in the national park.

Day 2 is a pretty unspectacular day. The Kern River Canyon is a nice - but short - scenic drive and Lake Isabella's an ok place, but I don't think that's where I'd spend a full day considering the short amount of time you have. I'd either also go up into the Sequoia National Monument (near johnsondale) and see some of the Giant Sequoia in the Trail of 100 Giants, or I'd just skip that leg, head right for Death Valley (going up CA-14), and use that day elsewhere (probably at or around the Grand Canyon).

3. Default Updated

Thanks for your reply, Michael!

I updated the route a bit so now we drive through Sequoia, where we will spend the first night. From there to Death Valley. Maybe that's more spectacular?

Updated route in Google Maps

Day 1 - AMS - LAX arrival in afternoon (Jetlag so we will sleep early)

Day 2 - LA via Bakerfield, Lake Isabella (Kern River Canyon) to Sequoia, lodges north of Kernville.

Day 3 - Sequoia to Death Valley, spend the night at Furness Creek

Day 4 - Furness Creek through Death Valley to Las Vegas, spend the night at a friend's place

Day 5 - Las vegas via Hoover Dam to Grand Canyon Village

Day 6 - Grand Canyon via Route 66 to Kingman, spend the night there

Day 7 - Kingman via Mojave Desert and Route 66 back to LA.

Day 8 - LAX - AMS departure in afternoon

What do you think? Can this be done in 6 days?
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-20-2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added map

The basic idea can be done in 6 days, but the actual route you've got on google raises some problems.

First, the route you've got through "Sequoia" goes through the Sequoia National Forest, which despite the name does not have any groves of giant trees. It's hard to see the distinction on the google map, so the would be a case where getting a paper one would give you a much better visual on where you'd want to go. The route you've actually picked is "Sherman Pass" road, which really is the slowest and most remote of all the Sierra passes, and if your spring trip is anytime before mid june, it is unlikely that it would be open.

Second, with Death Valley to Las Vegas, you wouldn't want to go all the way down to I-15. Instead you'd want to go across through Pahrump. Again, this is a case where a good paper map, and a little more research on what parts of Death Valley you want to see would be helpful.

Otherwise, I think you're looking ok.

5. Default

Thanks, Michael.

We'll have a look on the paper maps.
    If someone else has some useful tips, let me know.

It's going to be quite busy, but doable. It really depends on if you are happy at keeping going at pace, if you are it's doable, if not you will have to cut something out. As Michael mentioned your route from Sequoia might not be passable and if it is will be extremely slow going.

If you want to get to the first marker on your map and see some Giant Sequoia's I would suggest heading through Bakersfield on CA99 to CA 65 to Ducor and East through Fountain Springs to Hot Springs Rd and Parker Pass Rd. A short trip North on the Great Western divide Highway will take you to the tranquil 'Trail of 100 giants' grove of Sequoia trees. Head back to Parker Pass Rd and down the Kern River Highway and into the lovely small town of Kernville. You can then continue to Death valley next day, but from Lake Isabella you could make it to Vegas same day and have time to sight see in Death Valley, Furnace creek is under 3 hours from Vegas. I would probably either do that, or forget about going to the Lake Isabella area just to free up some time in the other part of your trip where you might wish you had a little more time to try and fit in the Hoover dam, route 66, the Grand canyon and Mojave NP.

As Michael mentioned, form Furnace creek keep on 190 to Death valley junction and the take State Line/Ash Meadows Rd to Bell Vista Ave into Pahrump and then 160 to Vegas.