Default Kelowna to Banff

We are a family of 5 from Australia heading to Big White Ski Resort in Kelowna for 10 days of skiing in late March.

After this we plan to pick up a motorhome in Kelowna and drive to Banff and explore the area and surrounds for 10 days.

We especially want to see lake louise etc.

Is the motorhome a safe option?

Are their camping parks available for us to stay each night?

Is there enough to see and do in and around banff for 10 days or should we look at other areas?

We plan to drop the motorhome of in calgary and fly to san Francisco.

thanks for your help

Tucson, AZ

Default Banff

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

My last visit to Banff was about 7 years ago. My wife and I spent a week and had no trouble whatsoever filling the days. That trip was, however, in May, and it was still chilly with a little remaining snow cover and occasional wet flurries, so what it's going to be like in March is a bit of a question I guess. I would expect most of the attractions and roads to be open to serve the ski crowd, but you will be subject to weather closures. Some of the stuff we enjoyed included lunch at the Fairmont, the Buffalo Nations Museum, the Cave and Basin National Historic Site, the Natural History Museum, and Lake Louise in the Banff area. North of there a bit are the ice fields of Jasper National Park, and Calgary is just a short drive to the southeast.

I'm not sure what you mean by asking whether an RV will be safe. Certainly if the weather turns against you you'll have to be extremely cautious of taking one over the mountainous highways between Kelowna and Banff, and I'd make sure that the RV you get is well insulated and has an ample and well ventilated heat source. Most RV sites in the National Park operate May to October, but at least a couple are open year-round.