Default Denver to San Francisco then up the Oregon coast

I am planning a trip the first couple of weeks in June from Denver to San Francisco, up through the Redwoods, then up the Oregon Coast, ending at the Sand Castle Contest in Cannon Beach. Any fun things to do and great places to stay and eat would be appreciated.

South of England.

Default We need something to work with to be able to help.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

There are literally thousands of options, from small towns to scenic drives to National and State parks through mountains and deserts to City life. Knowing nothing of your interests, route and how long you have before arriving at Cannon beach doesn't narrow things down at all.

I would do some research around the forums and road trip planning pages and get a few dot's on the map and give us a few more details and then we can offer some meaningful advice.

Thanks for the reply. I have two weeks to do the round trip. Since I am a native of Colorado, the Colorado piece is not an issue. Need some help with the route leaving Colorado and arriving in San Franciso. I am open to anything. As far as Oregon goes, I just want to see and visits all of the great little towns on the ocean and stay somewhere on the beach that would be kind of central. Thanks for your help.

Joplin MO

I would probably take I-70 to Salina UT, then US-50 (The Loneliest Road) across Nevada to the Carson City/Lake Tahoe area. From there, you can do several things on the way to SF - such as drop down on US-395 to Lee Vining and cross Tioga Pass through Yosemite if you want, or just stay on US-50 to Sacramento and take I-80 into SF. If you just want to get to SF quickly, you can take Alt-50 out of Fallon right to I-80, or take I-25 out of Denver to I-80.

It all depends on how many days you want to take getting from Denver to SF.

South of England.

Default Some thoughts.

Yosemite is a wonderful place to spend a little time, but if it's on your wish list you will have to check the status of Tioga pass [CA120] as it is possible that it will still be closed in June due to winter snow accumulation. The later in June you travel the better your chances but it can open anytime from around Mid May.

If you want to follow the coast through the Redwoods and Coos Bay etc, I would estimate it to be a weeks worth of driving for the round trip, with time for short stops, so you have time for some sight seeing along the way. A couple of National parks in Utah could be an option, Arches and Canyonlands perhaps, in Nevada there is the Great Basin NP and in Cali, Yosemite has already been mentioned.

On the way home you could keep a little time spare and enjoy a drive through the Columbia River Gorge from Portland and back through Boise and Salt lake City and I 80.

As I mentioned earlier, I would look around the forums for ideas and get some dots on the map as there are just so many options. You will have to consider how long you want to stay in San Fran and Cannon beach and then see what time remains for other things.