Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Road Trip 2012 - New York (Long Island) to California

Ok, so my sister her boyfriend and my boyfriend want to plan a road trip for next year early fall sometime.

We plan on taking an F350 Diesel along with a camper.

We would like to think about starting to plan things now so that we can get a route started and start thinking about things we would like to see along the way.

We are thinking only 2 weeks (i know its not a lot of time but we all have full time jobs and thats probably the best we will be able to do) So with that in mind we wont be able to do everything but we are ok with that we are just looking for the experience!

So, my questions where do we start?
    Any great places to see on the way there? the way back?
    We are thinking northern stuff on the way there and hit some southern stuff on the way back.

I guess I will start there and build on it from here :)

thanks everyone :)

Default too little, yet too much

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The first thing I'll tell you is that it is going to be tough to do a trip on this scale with only 2 weeks. Even in ideal conditions, you need 5 days to drive from coast to coast, and when you are pulling a camper you're talking about slower speeds and less than ideal conditions. What it comes down to is that you could drive to California and back in 2 weeks, but driving is about all you'd be doing. If you sprinted across the country, both ways, you'd still only have at most a day or two in California before you had to head back.

You likely need to either add more time or scale back your destination.

As far as what too see, there's just far too much for us to start narrowing things down when you are talking about a trip that covers the entire US. There are literally millions of things you could see or do, and until you've at least figured out the few places that are must sees for you, we can't offer really anything in terms of specific help. Of course, there are tons of resources on this site (both in the forum, and elsewhere) to help you figure out those things, but you need to take the first step.

I have to agree - with only 2 weeks you are way over scale. You are going to be burning over $2000 worth of diesel fuel just to drive and not see anything except out the truck windows!

hmmmm maybe something to think about not making it a point to go all the way. I really appericate your feed back. It was something that we really had not thought about.

Where would be a reasonable place to end up if we only had two weeks. About how far would you go?

thank you everyone :)

You could certainly look at Colorado or Utah. At the upper extreme, you could look at either Yellowstone or maybe the Grand Canyon, but that's about it. Yellowstone for example, would be a good 4 day drive each way, so that would leave you time to see the park and also enjoy some of the other things along the way.

I'd recommend you stay east of the Mississippi. Perhaps, a trip down to Florida and maybe out to New Orleans and back, taking the coast route one way and the "mountain" route the other way?

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    You could certainly look at Colorado or Utah. At the upper extreme, you could look at either Yellowstone or maybe the Grand Canyon, but that's about it. Yellowstone for example, would be a good 4 day drive each way, so that would leave you time to see the park and also enjoy some of the other things along the way.
    Well we def. want to head west. We really wanted to see if we could make it to Utah at least to get to the salt flats. Maybe putting that as our stop point might be more realistic.

Again everyone's comments are greatly appreciated.

Default Go West!

Hello minibabe,
    With NY as your starting point, the closest sights and sites in the West are WY, MT, UT, and ID. To continue to CA adds a couple of days each way, and if it's western mountains and desert you want to see, there's no reason to go to CA for that. In fact, the Front Range in CO and the Medicine Bows in WY are a day's drive closer to NY than far western UT where the Bonneville Salt Flats are.

From the area of the Salt Flats in UT, some great mountains are just north of you in Idaho and Montana, where it's possible to see some sights without ever setting foot in a high-traffic National Park (not that there's anything wrong with the NPs--they're great). The point is that literally tens of millions of acres of the listed states are National Forests and they are home to hundreds of campgrounds.

I'd recommend getting a 2011 highway atlas from any of the major publishers and just spend some time on the pages devoted to WY, MT, UT, and ID just to see the lay of the land and what points of interest jump out at you. That being done, you can focus additional planning time on more detailed research concerning campgrounds and activities.

Have fun planning and taking your diesel-powered RoadTrip!

Foy

I am finding things to do on the way home just the way there I have not really found anything yet. Like though Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa. I mean the finger lakes which I guess would be pretty cool but is there anything else on the way out?

thank you

and yes DIESEL POWER FOR THE WIN!!!!!!

thank you everyone again. You have brought up some great suggestions!

There's far too much in those states 'where you haven't found anything yet' for us to start narrowing them down for you in any serious fashion. There are tons of resources here that you really need to check out, including the Routes, Attractions, and Map Center sections that will provide a nice (but still relatively small) sample of the thousands of things that are out there.