London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default Spring road trip

Hi everyone.

Apologies if this has been discussed many times but we are looking for a good route from San Francisco to Vegas in mid April. We are thinking SF to Reno on I80 and then 395. Is the 395 open at that time of the year? We will have a hire car and don't want to use chains. We have just 2 days to do it and would like to take in Lake Tahoe and Death Valley. May possibly miss Lake Tahoe and look to break the journey half way. Any suggestions for a good stop off point somewhere on the 395?

Thanks Sharan and Simon
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-15-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Thread Moved as Requested

Joplin MO

I highly doubt you would need chains in mid April.

The best way to Tahoe from SF is I-80 to Sacramento, then US-50. This can be done easily in 4 hours. To get to 395 from there, take 50 into NV, then NV-207 (Kingsbury Grade) to NV-88, turn right, then turn left on NV-756. Note that it's close to a 10 hour drive from Tahoe to LV through DV, BEFORE you consider any stops. You may want to consider an alternate route if you only have 2 days and want to do any exploring in DV.

South of England.

Default 'Mammoth' target.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Mammoth Lakes on the 395 is the half way point, with roughly 7 hours driving either side of there, before any sight seeing. I would be looking at staying there or a little further South in Bishop to split the journey.
    You could save a little time and head South and stop around Lake Isabella, but the 395 route will be more scenic.