Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Colorado Trip in early April

My husband and I will be driving to Colorado the first week of April. We're driving from Memphis, TN to Breckenridge, CO and we'll have 5 full days to do anything in the area.

We want to hit up some of the snow attractions for a day or so but we also like to ride. I thought about going up to Jackson Hole, WY to see the Grand Tetons. We've never seen them before.

Any thoughts on going to Jackson Hole?

How are the roads that time of year near Jackson Hole?

We love the west and don't get out there enough so when we go we tend to go a bit overboard on where we want to go.

All thoughts are welcomed and encouraged.

Thanks!

Default a stretch

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm not entirely clear on the full scope of your trip. Do you have 5 days total, or just 5 days from when you get to Colorado (and if that's the case, how much time are you planning to get to and from Memphis?).

My initial thought is that going to Jackson isn't going to leave you with much time left in Colorado. It would be tough to make the drive from Brekenridge to Jackson Hole in just one day. With only 5 days available, and so many things to do in Colorado and Utah, I think I would try to do something a little bit closer. You might save the Tetons for a Summer Trip, when you could also work Yellowstone into the plan.

There's no way of knowing what the roads might be during the time of your trip, but you certainly need to prepare for winter conditions throughout this area, which could add an additional challenge to making the trip to Jackson - which is 500 miles each way mostly on 2 lane roads.

Default You can have what you wish for.............

Hello wiggie,

It appears to be a 500 mile drive from Breck to Jackson, WY, in the valley known as Jackson Hole. For all intents and purposes, it's all 2-lane highway, as well. You're looking at a full day to get up there and either a full day to get back to Breck or to reach a point at or east of Denver enroute back to Memphis.

Weather in April can be anything between warm. bluebird skies and a blizzard. There is some elevation to deal with between Breck and the WY line, and pretty much the whole portion of WY you'd travel is > 7,000' in elevation, so I'd expect any weather system to have ill effect in WY.

You could always plan to go, watch the weather, and cancel if it looks like you'd get caught in a nasty Spring snowstorm.

Foy

4. Default

Thanks for the reply.

We will have 5 full days in Colorado. I figure it will take us 1.5 days to get to Breckenridge and the same time to get back to Memphis.

I was thinking Jackson Hole would be a stretch esp. in the winter.

Do you have any suggestions for Colorado and Utah?

Last year's trip was to Vail and Aspen. Also, we road through Leadville, CO ending up in Albequerque, NM. We stopped at the Great Sand Dunes National Park.

Perhaps you could do a loop through Western Colorado/Eastern Utah.

Do Arches and Canyonlands, down to Mesa Verde and Durango, back up the Million Dollar Highway, and then start heading east on US-50 past Black Canyon and onto Pueblo/Colorado Springs.

Memphis to Breckenridge is more than 1.5 days - it's almost 1200 miles and will be 2 long full days.

7. Default

We talked about our trip last night and Vegas came up. We threw that around and then going to Reno and Tahoe came up.

We can take up to 2 weeks if needed. That's leaving Memphis and returning in 2 weeks. My husband mentioned Reno, Tahoe, Yosemite, riding down to LA and then deciding whether to come home through Flagstaff or Tucson, AZ.

Again, would love to hear some ideas and possible routes since we are thinking of going so far.

That would work very nicely as long as you don't try to overextend yourself - you need to plan on reasonable daily mileage. From Breckenridge, you can take I-70 west to Salina, then US-50 to Reno and Tahoe. Tioga Pass will not be open yet, so you can take US-50 or CA-88 to CA-49 to get to Yosemite. If you don't necessarily need to visit LA, you can go to Bakersfield then cut across to Vegas and plan from there. It would be a great opportunity to visit the Grand Canyon.

9. Default

Thanks glc.

We always start out overextending ourselves it seems.

I was wondering if parts of Yosemite would be closed. Can we still get in to the park and spend some time there?

My H mentioned going over Donner Pass. I'm not sure where that is actually but he really wants to see it again.

Again with the overextending....he mentioned going by area 51. I'm sure you can't see anything but it's the fact that you were there. Is this along the way or can it be?

The high ground in Yosemite will still be closed but the valley floor accessible and the waterfalls will be in full flow. NV 375 runs by area 51 and is known as the E.T Highway. If you were going from Vegas to Tahoe you would take US93 to NV 375 and then US6 through Tonopah. If you are routing that way it is a pleasant desert drive, but very barren and don't expect to get anywhere near a glimpse of area 51. I enjoyed driving it but it's not worth going out of your way for imo. Are you still heading to Breckenridge first ? There is so much to see and do in the 'Four corners' region with some amazing National parks, scenic drives and great towns. Time to sit down together and decide what you want to do and then we can help with the bit's in between.