Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default Under 25 year-old driver, 3 months LA-NY, buy or rent?

Hi, a little about myself, i'm 21, finished uni last june and im about to head out to the states for 3 months with 2 of my best friends!

Our dates our April 7th - July 5th.

Got our route sorted, we just need to sort our car now, our orginal plan was to buy a car and sell it at the end, but after reading some posts here and other sites/forums it looks nearly impossible to do so. So that leaves us with renting, but since everywhere i've looked has a $25 a year charge for under 25's it ends up being an expensive 3 months!

the best quote i've had so far is from carhire3000 which is £3250 ($5200) for 3 months for intermediate (dodge challenger) which includes YDF, taxes and a full tank of fuel.

Our original budget for the car was £2500 so its still a little over what we wanted to pay, but since i have no experience of renting a car in the US i have no idea if we can get better than that

Any help would be great

Welcome!

You will almost always get the best rates from consolidators in the UK rather than directly from the agencies here. Have you looked into lesser classes of vehicles? A Dodge Challenger is a specialty class of vehicle, and actually is not very comfortable for more than 2 people.

sorry my mistake its a 'dodge charger or similar' or i think we can get a smaller suv 'saturn vue' or 'jeep liberty' for around £200 more on the rental cost (not sure how much this would affect the taxes/insurance)

edit: oh and carhire3000.com is a uk based booker

A Charger is a comfortable sedan. You could probably go smaller, as long as it's a 4 door car.

i think ive got the quote down to £2600 for a saturn vue, its a YDF package and also includes full tank of gas, just waiting on how much the one way fee would be, im thinking its gonna be $250 or $500 - this is alot closer to our budget :)

Default First US road trip. CAli-Vegas-Utah-Texas-New Orleans-Florida-TN-DC-NYC, 3 months.

Here's the rough route we're taking.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...513672&t=h&z=4

april through to the stat of july so we're in new york for july the 4th :)

hope the weather is nice in spring, im guessing california is t-shirt/beach weather in april? and the rest of the trip seems to look okay for weather?

any places close to our route we should take a detour to?

Default cheapest way to stay in manhattan?

even though we're roadtripping we wanted to get the main places sorted, so we've book banana bungelow for hollywood and the stratosphere for vegas (£85 for 4 nights!!) we just need to sort out new york now, and its quite abit more expensive than the other two places we've booked.

not really a fan of 12-person dorms so we're wanted private rooms if we end up in hostels. the best weve found so far are (the prices are for all 3 of us)

chinatown for $1344 for 2 weeks

upper east side for $1585

and financial district for $1386

obviously these are much cheaper than any of the hotels ive found, just wondering if there are any other options like short term rental? since we're gonna be there for 2 weeks

Moderator Note: Merged 3 Threads. Please do not create multiple threads about the same trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-13-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Default oxymornon

The words "cheap" and "manhattan" are two words that simply are a contradiction. There is nothing cheap in manhattan.

I will say, you'll need to be careful about anything you find that does look cheap, as there can be some very seedy places for rent.

If you can broaden your options, you'll find a lot more in the reasonable range. There are some excellent deals to be found if you don't mind commuting out to Jersey. My last trip to NYC last summer, I stayed at a hotel in Queens. It was about $100 a night (with free parking), and was just a block from a subway station where we had about a 20-30 minute ride into Manhattan.

ive found an apartment on homeaway which has decent reviews and is only $900 for 2 weeks! upper west side :)

Hi, without starting a new thread (hope this is in the right section) does anyone have an estimate on how much gas money we're gonna need?

the route i posted up there ^ (also here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...513672&t=h&z=4)

google says 6,400, but im sure it'll be closer to 7,500 with detours.

we are renting an SUV (it says ford escape or similar) ive put in it one of those converters but i dont trust it really, who prefer to here it from someone whos actually travelled around and know current gas prices in the states.

cheers