Thread: LA to NYC

Lanark, Fife, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default LA to NYC

Hi. me and 3 of my pals are coming over from scotland and are thinking of driving from LA to NYC in 2013. we are thinking of starting in LA the to Las vegas for a coupe of days then to Salt lake city, Denver, Oklahoma city, Dallas, Houston, New orleans, Jackson, Memphis, St Louis, Kansas City,minneapolis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Washington then to NYC. we are thinking 25 day. i know it is alot and the places that we visit might not be the ones i have said and might change. just wondering if anyone has any advice about this. Also a quick question about a car. We are going to rent a car from the airport. as long as the company has a depo at Newark i take it we can just take the car back to there?

2. Default LA to NYC

I'm from New York, in my opinion the scenary east of the rocky mountains is boring.. I would spend most of my time in the western states. Utah, especially is magnificient. Make sure you visit all the major national parks. My wife and I where there this past October for 10 days not enough time. If you can extend your visit I would highly recommend it. As far as the car, you should't have a problem. However, it will cost more then droping it off where you pick it up. Good luck
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-13-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Default weclome to both

Welcome to the RTA Forum, both of you!

Lets start with the basics. First of all, the statement that everything east of the Rockies is boring is simply ridiculous. Anyone can have whatever opinion they want, but the problem lies with the close minded person making the statement, not the scenery. Rule number 1 of a roadtrip: There are no boring places, and to say that 2/3rds of the continent is boring, ruling out the thousands upon thousands of incredible landmarks that are to the east of the rockies is a statement that's so absurd it requires no further discussion.

As far as the original question goes, dropping the car off in Newark shouldn't be a problem at all. Every major car rental company is going to have locations at LAX and EWR, but as was mentioned, it will involve a 1 way drop fee that will likely be a few hundred dollars. Also note that if you are under 25, you'll be looking at a fee of about $25 per day for each underage driver, and if you are under 21, renting a car will not be allowed at all.

As far as your route, I will say that it is a lot of zig-zagging and really only covers cities. There is a whole lot more to this country that just urban areas, and certainly National Park are a very big part of most people's roadtripping plans. As the previous poster mentioned, you could spend 10 days in Utah alone and just scratch the surface of the many national parks there, and that doesn't even include the dozens of other national parks located in the southwest alone! I'd certainly spend a little time looking into parks and small towns to put more variety into your trip.

Lanark, Fife, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Thanks for your replys as i say it can change and that is all we have came up with. i am not long back from new york after a 2 week break there and cos of the snow never really got out of the state as i would liked. All the drivers that are going are all over 25 so that is not a problem. i will see some of the guys when we got to the football (soccer as yous like to know it as) on saturday. We will be visiting a few parks but we where wanting to keep own the driving as much as pos. as i have a problem with my hip if i sit to over a couple of hours in a car. How does renting a RV work? i take it it is a bit diffrent from getting a car as i dont think you can pick them up at the airport.

Renting an RV is something that is done all the time, although you should note generally you are not allowed to pick one up the same day as an international flight.

However, I'd have some serious doubt that it would be a good choice for your trip. It will generally cost you more than a car and motels, and with your current plan of mostly seeing cities, they are really going make traveling more difficult. They are larger, harder to manuever, harder to park, and its going to be tough finding RV campgrounds that are close to where you want to be. If you were focusing in on seeing natural wonders, there are some advantages, I just don't think you'd really have much if any upside based on what you are proposing at this point.

I will say if long driving days are a problem, then that would be another reason to change up your plans. That big zig zag, going north and south across the central US, is going to add a lot of miles and require several days where you'll be in the car for most of the day. If you stuck closer to a straight line path, you would have more time to explore what's there, and less time sitting in the car.

Default A loop trip ?

Have you considered doing a complete loop of the country with a more Northerly route one way and more Southerly the other. All that 'up and down' can add quite a few miles to a one way trip, and it would save you a one way drop off fee. Of course you could choose a smaller loop trip and spend more time in fewer places, sometimes less is more.

With 4 of you travelling and sharing the cost, an RV could become a viable proposition, but it should be about a Lifestyle choice really, not one of cost. As Michael pointed out, they are not the best choice for the City, but can be a great experience out on the open road, it all comes down to what you want from the trip as a group.

I would certainly keep looking around the forums and other road trip planning pages and see what else appeals to you as there is so much more to the USA than City after City.