Default Alaska Highway Questions

Does anyone know how much latitude the Canadian police give before they issue a ticket? I have found that every state in the US typically gives you 7-8 miles over before they think about stopping you. Does this hold true in Canada?

Default Trial and Error

Certainly, no public web site is going to advise you to break the law. And our knowledge of the enforcement procedures of the many and sundry provincial, town and other jurisdictions throughout Canada is limited. Your best bet anywhere is to mimic the typical behavior of the local drivers. That said, if everyone else is going 10 mph over the limit and you are pulled over for going 5 mph over the limit, the action of others is no defense. You were still breaking the law.

AZBuck

I've wondered the same thing, and don't have a solid answer, but it would seem that you can relatively safely go 10 km/hr over the limit. Part of that is based on their own signage. There are semi-frequent signs warning about the fines and penalties for speeding, and they are marked with intervals at 20, 30, and 40 km/h over the limit. I don't remember the exact details, but the fine for going 20 km/h over is pretty minor (about $100 I think), but if you get up around 30 or 40 km/h is starts getting very expensive.

I've actually been amazed at how fast traffic often travels on the Freeways in Southern Ontario. While driving between Michigan and New York, I regularly see cars doing 30-40 km/h over the limit (which puts them well over 80 mph). I try to make sure I'm not the fastest car around, and that usually means setting the cruise in the 10-20 over range.

As Buck mentioned, that's certainly still taking some risk and others going faster won't be an excuse. Even doing 1 over is typically enough for a speeding ticket to be valid. I'm also usually a little more careful simply because I don't want the hassle of trying to deal with a ticket in a foreign country.

Default "Bear Spray" in Canada

I'm planning a trip to Alaska including several National Parks and hot springs in Canada. Friends advise me that "Bear Spray" is a good thing to carry. However, when I Googled the laws regarding Bear Spray in Canada it says that it is not legal to take it from the US into Canada except under certain circumstances.
    When I Google where to buy "Bear Spray" in Canada, all of the stores require a signed waiver. Can someone tell me:
    1. What is this waiver and how does one get one?
    2. If "Bear Spray" is purchased in Canada and taken across the border to Alaska, is there a problem when returning into Canada on the trip home?
    Thanks

My apologies. I've started a new, separate thread for your questions. Sorry for the confusion - AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 02-11-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Default Why??

May I ask, why you would need "Bear Spray"?

Having been there and back twice, I am really puzzled. I have camped in State parks, where bears were present and simply followed instuctions for park and remote camping. It is so simple.

Lifey is puzzled

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    May I ask, why you would need "Bear Spray"?

Having been there and back twice, I am really puzzled. I have camped in State parks, where bears were present and simply followed instuctions for park and remote camping. It is so simple.

Lifey is puzzled
    Unfortunately, the bears sometimes do not follow the instructions.

Bear attacks are not common, but usually end badly for the human(s) involved.