Thread: July Roadtrip

1. Default July Roadtrip

Hi there, me and a couple of friends are coming over to the US for a friends wedding. We are starting of in new York for 3 nights then flying to Memphis, where we are spending 2 nights. From there we are hiring a car and driving up to Chicago via indiana (where the wedding is).we have approx 8-9 nights. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of places to visit as none of us have been to any of the places. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Worth Looking Into

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The first thing you should make sure of is that your plan is financially feasible. You don't indicate your age, but in the US there are substantial 'fees' when renting a car if you (or any of the people will drive the car) are under 25. These are typically $25/day for every driver under 25. Anyone under 21 simply cannot drive the car. If that is not a problem, then here are some of the sites you should have a look at for starters: the Memphis and Nashville music scenes, Mammoth Cave National Park, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. Other possible venues would depend on your interests which you also haven't indicated.

AZBuck

In addition, you should also expect to be paying a couple hundred dollars in a one way drop fee by renting in Memphis and returning the car in Chicago.

Hi Blake,
    I'm doing a similar trip myself in September 2011.
    I found that I could not book a direct flight from NYC to Memphis, as result I'm flying to Chicago, changing planes and then onto Memphis.
    I don't know how flexable your dates are, but it maybe in your interest to go NYC / Chicago / Memphis then drive back to NYC for flights home.
    As the previous poster states..big fees for one way car hire. Also consider bring your own SatNav loaded with USA roads. Daily fees for Satnav hire

You can buy a preloaded GPS here for $100 or less. However, there is no substitute for good paper maps. You can buy a US road atlas for about $7.

Quote Originally Posted by Finspin View Post
    I found that I could not book a direct flight from NYC to Memphis, as result I'm flying to Chicago, changing planes and then onto Memphis.
    I'm not sure where you got your information but there are 8 direct flights a day from New York to Memphis.

Delta has 3 from LaGuardia, and 2 more from Newark, Continental also has 3 from Newark.

I could very well be cheaper to connect through Chicago or another city because that would give you more competition, but unless you were only looking at JFK, getting from NYC to Memphis does not require a layover.

7. Default Update

HI All

Thanks for the Replies - Just to let you know we are all over 25 so the U21 Additional fees wont apply and we have got the flights sorted (flight from NY to Memphis includes a stopover!)
    we are still trying to finalise what each of us want to see and where to stop along the way.
    A couple of interests we have are music & sports. What sports are happening at this time of year that we could go watch?
    Thanks

July is the height of baseball season. Memphis, Nashville, Bowling Green, Louisville, and Indianapolis all have minor league teams and New York and Chicago each have 2 major league teams.