1. Default NYC - YELLOWSTONE May/June 2011 (need advices!!!!!!!)

My friends and I are planning a roundtrip from NYC to Yellowstone park this summer. Most likely there will be 6 of us traveling together so we can drive alternately. None of us has any road trip experience so we really need advices on planning this “trip of life time". We are planning to spend 12-15 days in total, is it enough?? because we are not sure about which is the best route? and which stops should we be making along the way? I tried to search info about this kind of trip and the result has just overwhelmed me. WE ARE SO LOST. :(...but I do know that we want to visit Yellowstone + Grand Teton + Mt. Rushmore, what are some other attractions??

Also, I was thinking since it's a summer trip, camping may work at some places right? That can save us on the budget but more importantly since we haven't done that before. For the lodges in Yellowstone, any suggestions? When should we book them since summer will be a high season.

I can only think of these questions so far but I'm pretty sure I have more. So please help us!!!!!!

Thanks.

Default logistics

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

A couple things about the logistics of your plan.

6 people is a tricky number for a trip of this length. It really is too many people to fit in nearly any single vehicle. Even most large vans or SUVs that have seating for 6 aren't also going to have the room for their gear - especially if you plan to camp.

You also mentioned having 6 people so you can alternate driving, and that simply will not work. No one sitting with 6 in a car is going to get any real rest, and that means you can't safely drive non-stop. You'll still need to stop and get off the road for the night after about 600 miles.

If you are planning to stay in a lodge at Yellowstone, you should certainly book ASAP, as they will fill up quickly.

For routes, there's never a single "best" answer, but for Variety, you could look at going one direction on I-90 through South Dakota, and the other on I-94 through North Dakota - you might even continue by going over the top of the Great Lakes through Canada (if you all have passports.)

Default Camping and preparation

Out in the Yellowstone area at any time of year you may encounter cold weather and even snowstorms. Make sure that if you are planning to camp that you bring gear appropriate for those conditions. I camped in the area in July and distinctly remember spending one night in the tent while it was being battered by a strong wind and cold rain.

Is everybody involved truly "on board"? There's a lot to consider - budget, personal interests, etc. You may want to take our Roadtrip Compatibility Quiz. Better to find out beforehand that you've got vastly different ideas of what this trip will entail, instead of out in, say, Monowi, Nebraska (population: 1).

As far as "shift driving" - I wouldn't recommend it either.
    First, it turns the trip into a job.
    Second, who are the unlucky souls who are going to be put on the night shift?
    Third, have you ever tried to sleep sitting up straight (as in the seat of a car) for multiple nights?

4. Default thanks for the replies!

I will definitely talk to my friends, maybe we can split up into two groups? also, what are some recommennded attractions along the way there??

Default Groups and attractions

Splitting up into two groups could possibly work, though I still say it's a matter of what everyone's expectations are for this trip.

Just a few of the sights along the way include (in no particular order) Devil's Tower National Monument, Buffalo Gap Grassland, the Badlands, and the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. In between you and your destination are large cities, sparsely settled towns, and everything in between. It's really up to all of you to determine what the "must sees" are for your trip. Outside of national parks, what other things pique your interests?

6. Default Route question

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

A couple things about the logistics of your plan.

6 people is a tricky number for a trip of this length. It really is too many people to fit in nearly any single vehicle. Even most large vans or SUVs that have seating for 6 aren't also going to have the room for their gear - especially if you plan to camp.

You also mentioned having 6 people so you can alternate driving, and that simply will not work. No one sitting with 6 in a car is going to get any real rest, and that means you can't safely drive non-stop. You'll still need to stop and get off the road for the night after about 600 miles.

If you are planning to stay in a lodge at Yellowstone, you should certainly book ASAP, as they will fill up quickly.

For routes, there's never a single "best" answer, but for Variety, you could look at going one direction on I-90 through South Dakota, and the other on I-94 through North Dakota - you might even continue by going over the top of the Great Lakes through Canada (if you all have passports.)
    Thanks for the reply! For the three route you mentioned, have you traveled on any of them?

7. Default

I googled the route and it suggests me to take the I-80 W, I suppose that's the shortest route?

Any computer program is simply going to come up with it calculates is the shortest route. That's the only thing it will consider.

The ball is now in your court to research your options to come up with the route that looks most interesting. For example, based on your desire to see Mt. Rushmore, it would make the most sense to take I-90 at least one direction. But there are lots of things you could see, and that's kind of the fun part of the planning process.