1. Default Has anyone traveled between Vancouver & Phoenix in late Feb - what is the best route?

I was planning on driving through Wash, Oregon and Nevada and wondered how the weather and roads would be at the end of February.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There is never a single best route. In this case, there are a few options all which could be good - or all that could see major winter weather. The most straightforward would be to take I-5 all the way down to the LA area and then shoot across on I-10. The shortest route would be to take I-84 to US-93 through eastern Nevada - however this does go through some very sparce country with 2 lane roads, and is at an elevation where winter weather could be an issue, or you could go all the way over to Salt Lake City and then go down I-15.

All 3 routes are within about 100 miles of each other, and all will require 3 long days on the road in good conditions. Each and any of them could very well see bad weather, but until you are just a few days away from your trip, there is simply no way to know where the weather will be best.

3. Default

Thanks Michael,

I heard the road from Ely could be very tricky in the winter.....I will check the weather and see. I really don't like the I - 5 very much so I am tempted to try this route. If there is anyone who want to join me on this trip let me know. It would be great to have a second driver and someone to share expenses with. Cheers, Linda

What don't you like about I-5? In a lot of ways, that really is the easiest route, so going another way like US-93 might not be an improvement.

My software recommends I-5 and I-10. However, if you want to go inland, this route is only about an hour longer:

I-5 to Seattle, I-90/I-82/I-84 to Salt Lake City, I-15 to UT-20 to US-89 to Flagstaff, I-17 to Phoenix.