1. Default Cross Country on a Motorbike.

All of yoy guys seem to know alot about the drive so I hope someone can help me. This summer July 2011 I plan to take a Cross Country trip with my girlfiend on a Harley. We plan on making it about a 10 day trip and we are going to rent a motorcycle and drive it from boston to somewhere in california then fly back. My first question is, what would be the best route to take while on a motorcycle and what are the best places to stop and see on the way filling up the ten days on the way. I am into seeing beautiful views and basically anything worth seeing. I think the best thing to do would be to take about 6 days on the ride and hang out in cali for the other four day but I'm open to all suggestions. Please help me with the best route and sites to see on my cross country trip from boston to cali. Thanks alot and I look foward to seeing all of your suggestions.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 02-06-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Moved to own thread.

Default A little research needed.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

One common theme here is that there is not a 'one size fits all best route' and it still applies with a Motorbike. You have many options and you really need to look around the forums and other road trip planning pages to see what it is that appeals to you and then get a few dot's on the map. When you have got that far we can offer some meaningful suggestions and help to fill in the blanks, but for now there are a million miles and thousands of attractions to choose from.

If you want to do the trip in 6 day's, that will be 6 days of hard riding and very little time for major detours and sight seeing and you could easily spend 10 days in a smaller area of the country and only scratch the surface. For instance starting and ending in California, you have the Pacific Ocean ride around Big Sur, National parks like Yosemite and the Desert landscape of Death valley, you could head to Vegas and Southern Utah for great riding roads and more great National parks of Zion and Bryce canyon, down into AZ and Monument valley and the Grand canyon. This is just a small selection from one corner of the US, so you better break that map open and take a good look !

The other thing to consider is the One way rental. I wasn't sure if this was possible with a bike rental, but the first site I looked on they were available, but with a $750 'one way drop off fee' on top of the rental cost.

If you have any specific questions just ask, but for now I would do some research, Enjoy !"

Default iron butt?

Out of curiosity, how much experience do you and your gf have in long distance motorcycle riding?

You can certainly make the drive in 6 days, but hours on a bike are a lot harder than hours in a car, so that's going to be pushing you and your bodies pretty good. I'd certainly expect those to be exhausting days where siteseeing will be at a minimum.

If you have made lots of 500 mile per day, multiple day motorcycle trips and you know your own limits, great, but if this kind of long haul riding is new for you, I'd plan on the trip taking a couple more days, at the very least.

I've ridden across the country and halfway back by motorcycle. It was excellent because I wasn't under time pressure.

What you're proposing would be grueling.

You might enjoy it more if you trailered the bike and rode it at the other end.

Then again, if you already know what you're doing then there's no need to ask here.

You might enjoy it more if you trailered the bike and rode it at the other end.
    That might defeat the object and expense of Renting it in Boston. ;-)

If Boston is a must, you could drive across the US in a car and rent a Bike in California for a few days for a 'Grand Finale', or fly across country and then start a road trip in the Southwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    That might defeat the object and expense of Renting it in Boston. ;-)

If Boston is a must, you could drive across the US in a car and rent a Bike in California for a few days for a 'Grand Finale', or fly across country and then start a road trip in the Southwest.

Maybe after the 3rd day his girlfriend will be telling us that this idea beat the original plan! :-)

Seriously, for an experienced biker who has done things like this before it might be understandable. But the OP didn't give us a hint of prior experience. For the inexperienced, especially for the girlfriend, this isn't the best idea. 500 miles/day - ugh!

If they had 30 days it would be wonderful. Crossing the country by motorcycle is a great experience when there's time to spare and can take the small squiggly roads on the map.

Default Point lost perhaps ?

Maybe after the 3rd day his girlfriend will be telling us that this idea beat the original plan! :-)

Seriously, for an experienced biker who has done things like this before it might be understandable. But the OP didn't give us a hint of prior experience. For the inexperienced, especially for the girlfriend, this isn't the best idea.
    I think you may have missed my point, Lol.

Why would you pay to rent a Bike in Boston with a huge one way drop of fee, for it to sit on a trailer for 5/6 day's? [Not to mention the cost to rent a car and trailer to haul it across the country to ride it]

My suggestion was to rent a car and to use it to drive across country and then rent a Bike when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I think you may have missed my point, Lol.

My suggestion was to rent a car and to use it to drive across country and then rent a Bike when you get there.
    I got your point. We don't know why he's doing what he's proposed to do. The girlfriend may demand they see the trailer/pickup rental place nearest their hotel on the morning of Day 3 :-)

I was thinking of all the trailer queen bikes that arrive at Sturgis on a trailer. Folks who do that are regarded as wimps. But..... riding to S. Dakota in mid-summer is not very pleasant. So folks trailer their bikes.

I've ridden in 105F temps. I've ridden in hailstorms, thunderstorms, snowstorms and on dark rainy nights. None of that is fun. Or especially smart. Travelling by motorcycle is a lot like travelling by light plane. It's best if you have some schedule flexibility.