Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Roadtripper Mary Guest

Default lancaster, pa to new england or south, not sure yet

Hello all! I am wanting to do a little something different for summer vacation this year. I'm not really a world traveler, and dont know very much about sites to see. I really want to make this a memorable vacation for my husband, and myself as 2010 was a tough year. We will have 10 days at the end of July, beginning of August. Any suggestions? We would like to keep it simple, and are not interested in big cities.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are a million things you could do with 10 days, and really at this point there are too many to even start narrowing them down for you. Certainly, you've got new england, or the southeast coast, or the Smokey Mountains just to name a few ideas.

There are lots of resources and ideas on this site to give you ideas of places to go, so spend a little time looking around. Once you've got more of an idea of what you want, then we'll be able to help you put everything together.

Default Kickstarting Those Ideas

While Michael is right that it's awfully hard to give advise to someone when you know nothing about their interests or travel style. It's also true that it can be overwhelming to start from scratch and decide where to go and what to see when you know nothing about the areas under consideration. With both of those things said, let me point you to a couple of resources to give you a better idea of what's available in the areas that Michael mentioned:

New England
    Appalachians and Coast

Have a look at those and then, as Michael said, once you decide on a destination we can be of more assistance.

AZBuck

Roadtripper Mary Guest

Thanks guys, I guess I was too vague. I really have narrowed it down to the South. Would love to see New Orleans, Charleston, Sc, and Nashville.

Roadtripper Mary Guest

Ok, so I guess I was a little premature in my planning, but I am just starting. These are the places that my husband, and I both agreed on, New Orleans, Savannah, Daytona Beach, Nashville, and Memphis. So I have lots of planning to do. Any suggestions on sights to see would be greatly appreciated. I dont just wanna be on 95 south the whole trip. Love the mountains, and the beach, just not into big cities. I am in love with this website!!!!!

Roadtripper Mary Guest

Default southern road trip

I have 12 days of vacation late july early august. This is what I think so far.....
    Lancaster, pa to Savannah, Ga, stop in Charleston, Sc to do a little sight seeing, but not stay. Stay in savannah for 2 nights, then daytona beach for 2 nights, then new orleans for 3 nights, then nashville for 2 nights, travel through the great smoky mountains, sleep for a couple hrs, maybe in virgina somewhere, then back to lancaster. Seem feasible???
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-07-2011 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Merged - Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip

I would plan your trip to stay off I-95 completely anywhere north of Richmond VA.

I would not try to drive from Lancaster to Savannah in one day, it's just a bit too far. Go inland and take your time and make it a 2 day evolution. Take I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 to get there. You can include Charleston on that route. I'd look at an overnight around Charlotte.

Roadtripper Mary Guest

Default Finally all Booked!!!!

Hey all! My husband, and I have been wanting to do a road trip, and are finally going to do it! This is what we have planned......
    Leave Lancaster, pa on 7/23, travel through Charleston, SC to stop for lunch, and do a little exploring, then head to Savannah for 2 nights(we are staying atThe Baymont Inn, and Suites.), then off to Panama City, Fl for 2 nights(we are staying at Seahaven Beach Hotel.), then to New Orleans for 3 nights(staying at The Chateau), then Nashville for 2 nights(staying at the comfort inn), then on our way back home we want to detour through the great smoky mountains. Everything is all booked, I really hope that this is realistic. Any suggestions of places to see in any of these areas? Please let me know of the best routes, I DO NOT WANT TO GO I-95!!!! Thanks. Please offer comments/suggestions!

Mod note. Merged with planning thread. Please keep all posts regarding this trip here, thanks !
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-14-2011 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Merged threads.

Welcome!

I hope you aren't planning on making it from PA to Savannah in one day! You can certainly make it to Charleston for lunch - the day AFTER you leave.

Head west the best way for you to get to I-81, then take that to I-77 to I-26. Suggested overnight would be in Statesville NC, if you feel okay you could press on to Charlotte.

Default missing something?

I'm a lot confused by your plan, saying you're going to to "leave Lancaster and travel through Charleston, SC to stop for lunch" and that confusion increases significantly when you shout that you don't want to use I-95.

Lancaster to Charleston via the shortest route, which is I-95, is 650 miles. That's a bit more than a full day on the road, and would take you a minimum of 13 hours, and quite likely 14 or 15 once you factor in I-95 traffic. In other words, not something that could be done in a morning. The I-81 route suggested by GLC is the next closest option, but that adds a good 75 miles to the trip so it's not going to save much time. Trying to go via a 2 lane option is going to add even more time.

I'm hoping you've simply left out a planned stop somewhere in the middle here?