1. Default Avoiding Chicago

Does anyone have any ideas on avoiding Chicago when driving from Manitowoc to Indianapolis?
    Also we will have spent 2 nights in Ludington then crossed to Manitowoc on the SS Badger, should we spend a night in the area or drive for a couple of hours preferably in a southerly direction.
    Thanks
    Bertha

Default why?

I'm really puzzled by why you'd take the ferry at all here. Once you're in Wisconsin, really the only way to avoid Chicago would be to go all the way out to I-39 via Madison or Rockford, and then loop back via I-74.

If you stay in Michigan, you could either go through South Bend and down US-31 or work over to I-69.

3. Default avoid chicago traffic

Thanks for replying & for the route, will look into it. I dare say we will then see something of Wisconsin.
    We are taking ferry as it is something we would like to do & we want to visit Wisconsin if even only for a night or 2.
    We also want to know if Manitowoc would be a good stop for a night or should we move further on.
    We are taking in 8 States this year, intending to just see some highlights in each.
    Bertha

Manitowoc's a pretty small place, but its got a few things worth checking out. I actually just posted a couple things from there into the Map Center based on a weekend trip I took there at the end of last summer.

From there, you're only a bit over an hour to Milwaukee, which has tons of things to do. You could also head across to Oshkosh/Fond du Lac, and work your way down through Madison.

5. Default

Thanks.
    After reading your advice, looked at driving over to Madison & heading south from there.
    Looked at the Map Center, would I be able to read what you posted there? I can't see how it would let me.
    Bertha

Default its there

If you're looking at the attractions near Manitowoc, you'll see them, I believe they are the only ones in that immediate area so far.

And just to clear up any confusion you might have, you can post personal stops on the map and they wouldn't show up. The ones I put up were made specifically to be included in the public database.

If you want to go via Milwaukee, you can take I-43 from there to Beloit. Otherwise, going through Fond Du Lac is a nice drive.