1. Default Family Road trip Dallas to RI..need ideas

We now live in Dallas and are driving back home in June to RI. We would like to take one route up and a different route on the return trip to Dallas. We have two children ages 15 and 13. We will probably take about 4 days to get RI and then 4 days on the way back. I am looking for any ideas on stops to make along the way. I would appreciate any input. We think we would like to check out Nashville, Washington DC and New York City. Has anyone done this before or similar states?
    Thanks so much!

Tucson, AZ

Default Pick One

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Since you will need to put in three solid days of driving each way between Dallas and Rhode Island, and your stated preference seems to be for urban landscapes when it comes to making stops, my first and biggest bit of advice would be to pick one city to visit on each leg. On one, that could be Washington and on the other Nashville. It really doesn't matter which is on the northbound drive and which is on the southbound. New York deserves more than a day, and if you have family in Rhode Island, perhaps you could visit as a two or three day trip out of there on another visit home. For Washington, you should probably look at staying at a motel near a suburban Metro stop for two nights, take the Metro into town, and concentrate on the museums, monuments and government buildings along the National Mall, I'm not that familiar with Nashville, but perhaps splitting a day between Nashville and Memphis would let you see a number of sites associated with the music industry including Ryman Auditorium and the current Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, and Graceland, Sun Studios and Beale Street in Memphis, although the kids might enjoy Mud Island more.