1. Default Atlanta to New Orleans to Dallas in May

Hi all, in early May we plan on leaving Atlanta, GA to visit my sister who lives in Dallas, TX. Here are the details that I need help with.

We would like to visit Houston on the way to Dallas. So since we want to go to Houston first, I would like to go the route from Atlanta to visit New Orleans. I have never been to New Orleans, so I realize our route would change entirely opposed to if we go to Dallas first.

I have 2 small children. My son will just have turned 4, and we have a 1 year old daughter who is not fond of car rides at this time. So, I would like to take stops to let her out and move some. Child friendly spots would be great to stop at.

We would like to include a beach in our trip. This does not mean we need to spend the night at a beach hotel, but to stop at one on the way would be great.

We have 9 days total for this trip.

I am up for any ideas. If this was your trip, what would you do?

Tucson, AZ

Default The Beauty of Traveling with Small Children...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums! that they don't much care where you stop as long as they're having a fun adventure. As you note, your daughter won't care about anything except that she is out of the car, and your son will be amused with almost anything that's 'different' or fun, at least for a short while. So, *all* you really need to do is find a state park, interesting nature trail, or small scale museum every 50 to 100 miles and you're set. To get you started...

FDR's Little White House and/or Roosevelt State Park
    Chewacia State Park
    Montgomery, AL
    Miller State Wildlife Management Area and/or Little River State Forest
    Grand Bay National Wildlife Refuge
    Gulf Islands National Seashore

and so on. Some of your best resources are the Welcome Centers as you enter most states for the first time. The adults will have to pick out some places based on your route and time constraints (with some help from the staff), but then you can let the kids decide what interests them most.