1. Default Atlanta to San Francisco

Hi All,

My fiance and myself are headed from Atlanta to San Francisco here in about a week. We'll be driving my 2wd SUV with a good sized trailer on the back. We're really looking for the most efficient route, but would like to stop at the Grand Canyon and possibly stay with a friend in Phoenix. We're planning on around 5 days give or take 1 day. Any ideas for the most direct and safest route to take? I know this time of year can be pretty snowy and have been looking at alternates to the Google Maps direct route, but can't really decide between 10, 20, and 40!?

Any advice is appreciated!

Default something's got to give

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You're trying to really do too much with what you've got to work with here.

As far as routes go, I-40 is the shortest and is about 2500 miles. Going down to Phoenix via I-20 and I-10 does increase your trip by about 100 miles. There's no sure thing when it comes to the weather, as any of the options can and do see severe winter weather. This week, for example, Oklahoma is going to get hit with an Ice Storm, and it is quite possible that the storm will move far enough south to hit Dallas. You simply can't go far enough south in the US to avoid a the chance of winter weather.

The problem is that at 2500 miles, and factoring that you are pulling a trailer, you're really at the maximum that you should be trying to do in 5 days before you start thinking about extra stops and detours. At this time of year, a 6th day really is a very good idea to give you some leeway in case you do hit a storm that forces you to slow down and possibly even stop for a day.

If I were you, I'd plan to take 6 days, and if everything goes well, you can then plan for your stop at either the Grand Canyon, or in Phoenix (but you really don't have time to do both.), with the extra day.

3. Default

so, detours aside, what would you say the best route might be for the weather? the google map direct route? or taking 20 through Dallas up to 10?

It's simply impossible to say. I-20 could see good weather, or it could see a brutal ice storm. The same could be said with I-40. Until you've got a current weather forecast (which is at most a day or two before you leave) there's just no way of knowing what the weather will be.

5. Default

Thanks for all the input! Guess I'll be making a last minute decision, and we'll see the Grand Canyon after we've moved the the Bay Area... any other tips on places to stay along the way or general cross country road trip advice is always welcome :)

That's a wise choice. It's no fun sightseeing in the winter when you are pulling a trailer when you are on a time pinch.

The storm this week is going to slam Oklahoma and north Texas. If I were going to be making the trip this week, I'd go down to Mobile and take I-10 across. However, it should be cleared up by next weekend.

7. Default

So, making my plans to head west tomorrow! Anyone have any word on the best route? I know the weather is probably bad on both, thinking 40 might be taken care of a bit better than the southern routes... Any advice is definitely appreciated!

Nope - 40 is still in bad shape through Oklahoma. They just aren't equipped to handle what came through here this past week. I-10 is actually your best bet.