Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phx-sd-la-sf

1. Default Phx-sd-la-sf

HI all! Me and my buddies are considering to fly from Iceland to Phoenix and stay there for a day or so, then take a greyhound to San Diego and stay there for some nights and rent a car and head up to LA, stay there also for some nights and finally drive from LA to San Francisco and stay there until we fly back home.

Is this drive worth it? Hows the drive from LA to SF?

Thanks in advance!

Default I do but do you ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Only you can say whether the dive is 'worth it' to you and your buddies but I would say yes. You could easily spend 2 or 3 day's and explore some of the very scenic coastal route between LA and SF, [especially between Morro bay and Monterey around Big Sur] and San Fran is a great little City to enjoy. Have you considered just renting a car from Phoenix ? Have you considered the Grand canyon, Las Vegas, Death valley ? All these are worth it but it's your trip and for you to decise what you do with it.

Look around RTA and you will find Lot's of info and ideas and when you have decided and have more questions let us know.

Welcome!

The drive up the coast from LA to SF on Highway 1 is spectacular. I would allow at least 2 days, if not 3, to make it a truly enjoyable drive.

I do have to ask how old you all are - if you are under 25, the car rental can be costly due to the "underage" surcharge, and nobody under 21 will be allowed to rent or drive a car.

You may want to look at taking the Amtrak train (do NOT take the bus, it's run by a Mexican company) from SD to LA and rent the car in LA. The drive itself from SD to LA is nothing special and is usually quite congested. San Diego has a decent public transportation system - MTS buses and trolleys. LA's system isn't that great and having a car there would be quite helpful.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Have you considered just renting a car from Phoenix ?
    Hi Dave, we have looked into it but companies charge extra it seems if the car is dropped off in a different state than it was picked up. So we thought we'd just take the greyhound and rent a car in SD.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I do have to ask how old you all are - if you are under 25, the car rental can be costly due to the "underage" surcharge, and nobody under 21 will be allowed to rent or drive a car.

You may want to look at taking the Amtrak train (do NOT take the bus, it's run by a Mexican company) from SD to LA and rent the car in LA. The drive itself from SD to LA is nothing special and is usually quite congested. San Diego has a decent public transportation system - MTS buses and trolleys.
    We are aware of the underage surcharge because we're all under 25 but still over 21.
    The amtrak train suggestion is much apprieciated GLC! But isn't it better to have a car in SD when your staying there for 5 days or so? Or is the public transportation that easy to master that we wouldn't need the car until LA?

Thanks guys, this has been great help so far!

San Diego's public transit is one of the better systems out there. How much you'd "need" a car depends upon on what exactly you want to do, but considering your ages and how much more a car would cost including paying for parking, I'd give it a close look.

I've got to wonder if you wouldn't be better off just flying into SD in the first place. Nothing against Phoenix, but if you're only going to have one day there, which is going to come when you're jetlagged after a trans-atlantic flight, and then you are going to hop on a bus and spend all of the next day getting to SD, that's a lot of work for very little payoff.

Default Good call !!

I totally agree with Michael and if it's possible I would do exactly that, fly staraight into SD.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I've got to wonder if you wouldn't be better off just flying into SD in the first place. Nothing against Phoenix, but if you're only going to have one day there, which is going to come when you're jetlagged after a trans-atlantic flight, and then you are going to hop on a bus and spend all of the next day getting to SD, that's a lot of work for very little payoff.
    Hi Mike, we'll definitely take a closer look on just renting a car from La. But the reason we'd be flying in PHX and spending 1 night, is that it is much cheaper to fly there than to SD. And if we add the flying cost to the bus cost it's still much cheaper than just flyin straight to SD. And we'd also get a chance to see a little bit of Phoenix and enjoy a ride from a one state to the next.

Atli

San Diego many times isn't the cheapest city to fly into, but if that's your basis, then I'd look at Las Vegas and LA as starting point. Both are often cheaper places to fly into that Phoenix, and would save you some time.

You might also look at just flying into and out of San Francisco and doing a loop.

It's not that flying into Phoenix is a horrible idea, I just could think of a lot more productive ways to spend your limited time in the US than spending your second day sitting on a bus for 9 hours.

9. Default

That's true Mike, we could also fly to LA or LV. But the distance between LV to SD and PHX to SD is about the same, right?
    And one of us is 20 yrs old so we couldn't really enjoy LV if we stayed there for a few days.
    But we'll definitely check out flying to LA and then bailing to SD. Thanks, I appreciated the advice.

10. Default

And you guys really recommend to spend some time checking out the area between Morro Bay and Monterey?