Thread: freetrip

1. Default freetrip

I have used the site www.freetrip.com many times when planning our Roadtrip throughout the USA as it gives a rough idea of accommodation along the way. However, this year when I put it in, site seems to be unavailable does anyone know what has happened to them & if there is another comparable site.
    Thanks
    Bertha
    (this year covering Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia & Delaware)

Default It's a Cruel World

Running an internet business where you give away the 'product' for free is a risky, expensive enterprise and when reality catches up, most such operations simply go belly up fast and quietly. The website you refer to was a particularly small business, basically a one person shop in Virginia. Companies at the end of their lifetimes don't waste money on announcements that they're going out of business. The simply pull the plug and disappear.

AZBuck

3. Default WWW.freetrip.co,

Thanks.
    Pretty much what I was thinking had happened.
    Anyone know of a similar site?
    Have used mapquest, google & expedia in the past but even expedia has changed the way it shows you the accommodation.
    Bertha

I have not used freetrip so I wouldn't know what would be similar, but to get a good idea of lodging options in certain areas, the 'Tripadvisor' site is pretty good. It's mainly offers info and reviews which gives you a 'feel' of the place. It doesn't offer any route finding though, you need to do the homework first and then type in the City etc. What I like about it is not trying to 'push' you to few selected Hotels, it reviews by other travellers.

For strictly researching hotels, I use hotels.com. The only national chain that is not listed that I'm aware of is Motel 6, but you can use motel6.com for that.

6. Default freetrip

Thanks, use Tripadvisor all the time myself & have used hotel.com but it was more on the route planning from hotel to hotel I was looking for. Freetrip used gave you a list of some of the hotels along your route & the mileage & time driven from your last stop.
    Have found a site that lists what is at Interstate Junctions so will have to have both that & google/mapquest open when I do my planning.
    Bertha

7. Default Freetrip update

After doing some research on Google, I discovered I wasn't the only one missing them so on further searching obtained the e-mail address of Freetrips administrator, got a reply almost immediately. Here is a copy.
    Dear Bertha
    I am sorry to tell you that we have closed our business for now.
    The software needs to be modified to add some capabilities that
    many of our site visitors want, and the original developer left the
    company more than 2 years ago. We are looking to redesign some
    of the system at the same time, and so we decided to remove it
    from the web at this time. I will keep your contact information for the future.
    Thank you for your kind words.
    Regards,
    Ann
    FreeTrip.com, Inc.

Hopefully, they will be back before long.
    Bertha

8. Default Freetrip.com

Quote Originally Posted by bertha View Post
    I have used the site www.freetrip.com many times when planning our Roadtrip throughout the USA as it gives a rough idea of accommodation along the way. However, this year when I put it in, site seems to be unavailable does anyone know what has happened to them & if there is another comparable site.
    Thanks
    Bertha
    (this year covering Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia & Delaware)
    I have used it many times too but found the same thing when trying to access it recently. It must be gone. I now use the one on Google Maps where you can get directions. It's good for directions but don't recall if you can get hotels enroute like freetrip had.

While I have never been to that particular site, I have been using a combination of services for my planning. I am using Microsoft Streets & Trips for the actual mapping/timing, Google Maps for the different locations I want to hit (entered in all the places so I have a bunch of push-pins and planning my route accordingly), as well as AAA.com TripTik so see accommodations in the local areas. I have found this combination to meet my needs best.

Hope this helps.