Clemons91705 Guest

Default 1st Road Trip With Kids (Ohio - Cali)

My family and I plan on taking a road trip from ohio to california this sept , we have two weeks! This will be our first road trip as a family with a 4 year old and a 14 month old. We plan to go to yosimite national park, la brea tar pits, Disneyland, ocean and if we have time seaworld???

Any tips or thoughts?

Thanks Nicky

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

While 2 weeks does sound like a lot, keep in mind, it is almost a 2500 mile drive each way, so you're looking at needing at least 9-10 of your days on the road just to cover the miles before any significant stops for sightseeing. You can still enjoy your trip and have a few days in Cali, but it isn't going to leave a ton of time. If you can extend out the weekends to get a little more time that would help too.

If it is me, I'm holding off on Disney. Certainly the 14 month old won't get anything out of it, but even at 4 that's pretty young to really get any lasting joy out of it. That's not to say you wouldn't have a good time, nor is it to say you can't have a great time in California and on a roadtrip, but personally, with the price of Disney admission at about $75 a day, I'd think about if it is really worth it right now.

Otherwise, this site is filled with tips and thoughts. Spend a little time looking around, and if you have some more specific questions, ask away!

Tucson, AZ

Default Agreed

That is a ton of driving for not much payoff. As Michael correctly points out, your kids will not get nearly as much out of this as you think, and spending 8 or 9 hard days on the road for a few days of beach and amusement park time does not give much bang for the buck. I have had the best times with my own two young grandsons on RoadTrips where the final destination was no more than a day from home. That's enough car time to convince them that they're going someplace 'exotic' but still leaves most of our time for actually having adventures at various places - trips like this one. So, my biggest bit of advice is to stay relatively close to home while taking them someplace completely different. Some general destinations that are within a day or so of Columbus include the Great Smoky Mountains; Washington, DC and the Delmarva Peninsula; Niagara Falls, Toronto and the Thousand Islands area; the Upper Mississippi; and a host of others not much farther away. Spend your time having fun with the kids, not slogging down the highway.

Joplin MO

If you only have 2 weeks and really do want to see a lot of the west coast, I'd advise that you fly to LA and rent a car. 2 weeks would make for plenty of time to see stuff in and near LA, and take a "loop" trip out to other attractions.