1. Default Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

My husband and I are just starting to plan a road trip to visit the above locations. We can make it as long as 10 days if necessary. I would love to get some feedback from folks who have done this trip or something similar. We have never been to any of the locations so any information about what to do, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, what not to miss, things only locals or experienced road trippers would know. I need it all!!!! Just found this website and i'm really hoping it is going to help us make a memorable vacation. Thanks in advance.

Default Resources for Your Trip Planning

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I suspect that the area you'll be visiting is easily in the top five RoadTrip destinations discussed here, so let me first point you to some of the resources available for it:

Rapid City, South Dakota to Devils Tower, Wyoming

Rapid City to Hot Springs, South Dakota: A Trip to the Black Hills

Pierre to the Badlands of South Dakota

Rapid City to Deadwood, South Dakota: Mt. Rushmore Plus -- A Black Hills Sampler

Cody, Wyoming to Fishing Bridge, Yellowstone National Park

3 Week camping trip to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Glacier National Parks

Those should at least get you started!

AZBuck

Once you go through those great links Buck provided, you can certainly share what you've come up with for a plan so far. It will be helpful to know things like a starting and ending point. This is a big area, and 10 days can fly by, especially if you've got a significant number of miles to get to/from home.

4. Default

Thank you AZBuck and Midwest Michael. The links were very informative. I will put together more details for the trip and see where we go. I do know that we will be flying into South Dakota renting a car for the trip and probably flying home from Salt Lake City. I am not into doing any backtracking. It seemed like Salt Lake was the best/closest major airport from Yellowstone at around 6 hours or so?

I think it would be a lot more economical doing a "loop" trip - fly in and out of SLC or Denver and rent a car. Otherwise, you will be paying a one way dropoff fee for the car and probably not be getting the best airfares.

6. Default

Thank you GLC. I know that the one way drop off thing could get expensive and I will certainly look into the cost. Doing a "loop" could be possible but it seems like a lot more car time just to possibly save a few hundred dollars. The airfare cost probably won't be that much different?

Rapid City is a town with only 60,000 people, and is served by a small airport with only a couple of airlines. I'd expect a one way flight there to be quite expensive, and the one way drop fee for a car rental from there I'd also expect to be significantly higher than even if you were doing a one way coast to coast from major cities.

You could find a good deal, and the difference in price might not end up being all that much, but I'd start pricing it out now. The sooner you know that major expense, the better able you'll be to continue planning for the trip.

Rapid City to Denver is only about an 8 hour drive. You should have plenty of time to do a decent loop out of Denver.

9. Default

Thank you GLC I am going to look into the Denver idea. The only thing that frightens me now is after reading lots of information on the internet it looks like "spring" doesn't really start in the area until summer!! We are planning our trip towards the end of May early June. Should we go later? Opinions please :-)

Default Can be a great time, but..............

....as we all know the weather is totally unpredictable so far in advance, but early to Mid June could be a nice and reasonably 'safe' time to visit Yellowstone before peak tourist season. Due to the short season in Yellowstone, it gets real busy in the summer Months. You will get a good idea here on the Yellowstone NPS site of opening dates and if you look around that link you will find all the info you will need to make an informed decision.