1. Default New York to San Fransisco

Hi everyone, my friend and I (both 23 from Scotland) are planing on a road trip this July from New York to San Fransisco.
    We are hoping to rent a car (fingers crossed!!!) and drive via the south. We are also hoping to make the Country Music Festival in Hickory Hills Lake on the 8th July.
    Any suggestions as to places to visit/stay along the way?
    We have around 3 weeks for this trip.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks! Nicola

Tucson, AZ

Default Things to Investigate

Ceud měle fŕilte! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The first thing you'll need to do is to nail down your car hire. At 23, both you and your friend will be subject to 'underage driver' fees. Over three weeks, that will add $500 (each!) to the cost of the rental. You can sometimes get this waived or find a better rate through a European consolidator, but you want to know exactly what this is going to cost you before proceeding further with your plans. Also be sure to check whether there will be a one way drop-off fee involved as this could also add several hundred dollars to the cost of the car.

Beyond that you'll have to work out at least a rough route and/or itinerary before we can be much help on what to see and do. I will note that the U.S. is huge compared to Scotland or even Great Britain, and "the south" encompasses an area roughly the size of western Europe. Just knowing what sorts of things you had in mind would help. Also, the music festival you plan to see is in Ohio which while it's called the Midwest is actually on the northern edge of the U.S. so it won't be easy to combine your two stated goals. And knowing when you're arriving/departing is critical since you have a fixed date in the middle.

I have removed your previous post which you tacked on to another thread, Let's keep all your inquiries and responses here in your own.

South of England.

Default A big target.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Even "driving along the South" opens up thousands of route options and attractions and that's a few too many to start creating a list. You can make the drive in around a week comfortably so you have plenty of time to explore some sights along the way. Not having a basic outline of your route or any idea of your interests it would purely be a stab in the dark at making suggestions. What I would do is explore the RTA site and you will find many ideas and routes etc and when you have some dots on the map and/or specific questions, I am sure we can help fill in the blanks.