1. Default Santa Fe, NM to Page, AZ

planing a road trip on second week of April 2011 from Santa Fe, NM to Page, AZ via Chama, Pagosa Springs, Durango, Cortez, Kayenta. Any advice on road conditions during that time of the year is greatly appreciated.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Road conditions for a given time of year can be as unpredictable as - and are largely dependent on - the weather. My recommendation would be to keep abreast of the weather conditions in the area as your trip draws near.

3. Default

Thank you Mass Tim,
    Definitely will keep an eye on the weather as my trip closes on me. I was never in that part of the country and am totally new to that place. So I think what I am looking for is, in general, during the month of April, will those high country roads be open, will I be able to make the trip with my mid-size car. If yes, I would like to spend some time in those towns. For which I would like to book my hotels in advance. If that is not the case, drive from Santa Fe back to Albuquerque and take the freeway 40. Any thoughts please.

Default Should be fine.

Although there is a chance you will see a snow flurry along the route it is unlikely to cause any major disruptions to your plans and your car will be fine for the trip. If conditions were such that it wasn't suitable, then you should be waiting the storm out and let it pass by no matter what vehicle you were in. As mentioned the weather is unpredictable [and more so in recent times it would seem] but you could enjoy daytime temps in the 60's with snow covered peaks in the distance, fingers crossed !

Quote Originally Posted by SpringTrip 101
    So I think what I am looking for is, in general, during the month of April, will those high country roads be open, will I be able to make the trip with my mid-size car.
    All of the main roads along the Colorado/New Mexico border are kept open year-round (with the exception of US Hwy. 64 from Tres Piedras to Tierra Amarilla, which can be closed for weeks or even months during the winter, depending on how much snow there is.) As Tim and Dave both mentioned, the weather in early April is very unpredictable. At that time of year, you might still see some pretty decent snowfall up around Chama and Pagosa Springs, or you could see no snow at all. There’s just no way of knowing this far in advance. The one thing that is predictable about springtime weather in New Mexico is that it will probably be windy at some point during your visit. You can pretty much count on that.
    Last edited by howard; 01-28-2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: corrected Photobucket link