Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm going on my first solo road trip during spring break, and I'm nervous

I'm planning to go on a solo road trip along I-80 to Nevada to visit...a place which I feel a little bit uncomfortable disclosing. The thing is, I've never driven more than 1 hour on my own (and that was only once in my life) and have never driven more than 3 hours nonstop with someone riding shotgun. Is there any advice you can give me?

Thanks.

Default What's the worry?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

What exactly are you nervous about ? Do you normally feel comfortable behind the wheel of a car on short trips ? If the answer is Yes, then you should have no need to worry. I 80 to Nevada could mean anything from a 3.5 hour journey to a 9/10 hour trip from Logan and without knowing your destination, or what it is you are worried about I'm not sure how to answer. It's obvious that you haven't had any 'long drive' experience, but if you leave when you have been well rested and take a break when you feel a little tired or anxious you should be fine. Perhaps it's because you are headed somewhere that you are not totally comfortable with that you feel more nervous than you might otherwise be ? If that's the case you need to have a serious think, if not try and relax and enjoy your trip.

Good luck !

I can understand not being comfortable disclosing where you are going, but if you could tell us what general area in Nevada you are going to, we can help you a bit better. Nevada is a pretty big state. Perhaps a city name?

Default Easy Rider

Hello TidalWave7451,

I believe a trip across the sparsely-populated Nevada portion of I-80 would be about the easiest of drives: No mountains, no cities, not much likelihood of bad weather. You should be able to perform some elementary calculations concerning your vehicle's fuel range and look at a map to confirm there are fuel stops a-plenty. You should also be able to estimate the total travel time by simply determining the distance you intend to travel and dividing by, say, 55 mph, a factor which takes into account something like 70-75 mph posted speed limits and some fuel and nature stops. Your map will even show you the Nevada DOT-sponsored rest areas, so you can plan your stops down to the mile.

Rocket science, it isn't. I-80 across Nevada is as simple of a RoadTrip as there is. Relax, think clearly, have your vehicle serviced before you go, and have at it.

Best of luck!

Foy

Thank you all for replying. To be more specific, I'm driving to Carson City.

Default Upper limits.

That's about as far as we would recommend safely travelling in a day while keeping things reasonably comfortable. With some short rest breaks and to fill with gas etc you can expect to be on the road for about 10 or 11 hours. If you are not comfortable with that you may have to consider stopping overnight on the way.

Logan to Carson City is 625 miles. This is a drive I would have no hesitation making in 1 day just to get there. However, as Dave said, it may be more than you are comfortable with. Don't push yourself, if you start feeling uncomfortable find a place to stop and walk around or whatever. If you need to stop and spend the night in a hotel enroute, towns that have hotels from the halfway point on are Elko, Battle Mountain (very limited), and Winnemucca. If you go past Winnemucca, you are pretty much committed - I don't recall ANY hotels between there and Fernley - except maybe in Lovelock.

Keep an eye on your fuel - stations are pretty far apart out there.

Default Alternative

The 625 miles between Logan and Carson is by taking I 15 to I 80 via Salt lake City. An alternative that comes up on both the mapping programs I use, as the quicker route, is to take I 84 Northwest from I 15 to UT30/NV233 to I 80. Although on 2 laners for an extra 120 miles the 45 miles you save and avoiding Salt Lake City, shortens your route by 30/40 mins, well at least according to the mapping programs as I have not driven these routes for comparison.

My software shows that as only saving 8 minutes. I don't know if I'd want to recommend it for an inexperienced roadtripper - I'd probably want to stick to the more traveled Interstates.

Perhaps consider that as a change of pace for the return trip?

Default Avoiding SLC

It occurred to me avoiding SLC might be an anxiety-reducing move for TidalWave. While I have not personally driven the UT-30/NV-233 route, my detailed map shows it remains on the Basin floor all the way from I-84 to I-80, so no mountains, no passes, etc. No towns of any size, either, although one would expect fuel and helpful locals at Montello, NV. I'd probably top off the tank at the I-84 exit for UT 30 just for peace of mind. Wells, NV, just a bit further west on I-80 from the NV 233/I-80 junction is the next obvious fuel access location. Being at the 352 milepost on I-80, Wells is would seem to be a good starting point for a fuel run all the way to Fernley or so, a 300 mile distance likely well within most vehicle's fuel range. If the gauge indicates otherwise, there are surely ample fuel supplies at Winnemcca and Lovelock.

Even with the I-215 loop around SLC providing access to I-80 west without having to enter SLC proper, the I-15 corridor accessing I-215 is a very congested urban/suburban/industrial route at least from Ogden on down. Avoiding that would be high on my list, particularly when avoiding it would save distance without adding materially to potential travel risks.

Foy