Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default An all encompassing tour

Hello All,

I am very excited to be planning my first ever road trip (as a graduation gift to myself). A friend and I are going to be going all around the US starting and ending in Oregon. So far, I have done basic research and have chosen a pretty generic route. We have spent time abroad in Europe together and we planned that trip but this is quite different. How do you gauge time? I was thinking about 2 weeks for the whole thing but then reading others post that makes me doubtful. The route I temporarily have is through 25 states. With some being across the whole state and others just a corner or so. We plan to either camp along the way or stay in hostels so cheap is good haha. Budgeting hasn't really come in to play yet since we have a little more than a year to plan and save.
    The route is basically from Oregon down to Cali and then across the lower part of the US and then up the east coast. After that its back across the mid-west and up through Montana and Idaho back to Oregon.
    Any input would be extremely helpful.
    Thank you in advance,
    Missmarymac

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Route 66/Lincoln Highway

Welcome to RTA.

At some point, you should try to include stretches of either Route 66 or the Lincoln Highway, or both, in your travels.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

My question to you is pretty simple: Do you want this trip to be one where all you do for 2 weeks is drive drive and the drive some more? The very rough outline you've provided would require you to be on the road a good 10 hours a day, every day, for the entire 2 weeks (and that's a fairly best case based on your loop idea.) If you love driving, that could be ok, but if this is your first roadtrip, I doubt that's really what you'd find fun.

With 2 weeks available, I think you might be better off focusing on a single area that you want to see and explore, rather than try to slam through the entire US in one trip. Now what that area might be is completely up to you, but I think your initial goal is too much trip with too little time.

YES! I have always wanted to travel on 66. Not sure I know about the Lincoln highway. I will have to do some research about that. Thanks for the tip

I said that I was considering 2 weeks but not that I was limited by it. We could go for longer I just really have no relative comparison as to how long it would take.

Default An average.

Without any major sightseeing and time for short rest breaks only, during a multi day roadtrip, we recommend you cover no more than 5-600 miles a day, that's if you are prepared to travel for 9 to 10 hours on average. Beyond this the whole trip becomes a bit gruelling and beyond enjoyment. Of course this is on main routes and once you get anywhere near 'two laners' and mountains, the average drops dramatically in some cases. I do agree with Michael, as you are considering 2 weeks you would be better off taking a shorter trip or considering extending your time.

Search the forums and other trip planning pages in the tool bars above and when you have some dot's on the map we can help to fill in the blanks.

Enjoy the planning !

If you want to make a loop trip through the entire US, you need at least a month to make it even close to enjoyable. You are looking at doing at least 8000 miles, and it will probably wind up being a lot more by the time you get done zigzagging to see things that are not on the perimeters of the country.

My point was that that your rough outline would take considerably more than 2 weeks, so if you were considering a 2 week trip, that's a tough place to start your planning. I think you'd want at least twice that to even do a quick tour of all the places you mentioned.

As Dave mentioned, 500-600 miles a day is a full day on the road, which only leaves time for some quick roadside stops. At that pace, you basically need a week to drive from coast to coast. Add in detours north and south up and down the coasts, plus time to actually stop and see some things, and that's how we get about a month to do what you've layed out.

If you've got that time, great, but that should give you some benchmarks to move forward with.

Thank you all so much. I did some work on the map application under the planning section and just in driving it would be roughly around 26 days but that is really breaking it up and having some days only be about 200 miles and some days 600. So I think, as we get more into it, it will really come down to what we want to see and what we can just drive by to see the next thing. I am leaning towards going for a month now that I see how long it will take. I suppose the next step would just be to set the places we want to go?
    I really appreciate all the feed back and that is great to know that 500-600 miles is a good max. Cause honestly the farthest I have driven was about 250 miles so it was hard for me to gauge a good estimate.
    Thanks again. And please, feel free to add more suggestions or questions.

What I have done in the past, and continue to do, is to take chunks of the US and explore them in a week's time or less depending on how much time we have or how far we are going. From PA I did New England, the Southeast, a trip west to Denver, north to southern Montana, and back across South Dakota, Nebraska, and Iowa etc. I am currently planning one with the southern plains.

If you never have been on a road trip before you may not want to aim so high on your first shot. You won't have any road trips to look forward to if you do like it (for hitting new states anyway). From Oregon you maybe can do WA, ID, MT, WY, CO, NM, AZ, UT, NV, and CA for a western third of the country. Maybe head north to WA then east across the northern tier of states?