1. Default First roadtrip: we need YOUR help! :-) Boston -> Niagra Falls > Boston (26 days)

Hi all,

Great forums, I've been reading for a while now the comments and topics. We decided to go in July for 26 days to the US and fly at Boston. We are with 2 teenagers and 2 adults (family) and looking to explore the 'classic' USA with a bit culture, a bit forest and especially some rest/relaxation. We go by SUV and use motels.

We would like to visit the Niagra Falls, but I'm not sure how to approach this in 26 days. What do you think of the following route? Or would you recommend something else, considering the kids (+-16 y) and some relaxation and visiting the classic US?

Default classic

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm not really sure what "classic" USA is, but the outline you've laid out does appear at least on the surface to offer a pretty good variety of both cities, and rural areas. Beyond that, your map doesn't give a very complete picture of what you are thinking, other than a very rough outline of where you might go. Without knowing how you plan to break up your time, and why you've chosen to stop the places you did, it's hard to give much more advice about if this is really what you're looking for.

I will say, nearly a month is a very very nice amount of time for just one part of the country. In fact, you might be able to expand it out a little more. I think you'd want to consider adding a little time in Washington, DC, and you might consider going into Canada and visiting Toronto and/or Montreal (note you'll probably want to cross the border at Niagara Falls anyway). It all depends upon your priorities and how you want to pace yourself.

Default Places to Look

If you've missed them in your perusals of the forums, a few specific posts for your area of interest that you should be sure to check out include the following:

Between Niagara and Boston
    Between Niagara and New York
    Between Niagara and Washington

The other thing about your trip that has me thoroughly befuddled is that you're paying for double the number of beds you need each night and/or slowing yourselves down unnecessarily by traveling by RV and still checking into a motel each night.

AZBuck

Default I can't let you go on befuddled !

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    The other thing about your trip that has me thoroughly befuddled is that you're paying for double the number of beds you need each night and/or slowing yourselves down unnecessarily by traveling by RV and still checking into a motel each night.

AZBuck
    To 'unfuddle' your thoughts Buck you may want to have a re-read.

We go by SUV and use motels
    Rest easy ;-)

5. Default

Thanks guys. I'll check out those topics. I'm only thinking whether our trip offers too much nature, so it will be a repetition of everything. Would it for instance better to go from Boston > Miami around the coast what might offer more variety?

@Southwest Dave; thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure what you mean with 'Rest Easy'. Would it be too stressfull to check in a different motel daily? Or not good to sleep with 4 persons in two double beds? :-) Thanks!!

Default Ooops !

Quote Originally Posted by t1m View Post
    @Southwest Dave; thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure what you mean with 'Rest Easy'. Would it be too stressfull to check in a different motel daily? Or not good to sleep with 4 persons in two double beds? :-) Thanks!!
    Sorry that's a misunderstanding. The quote was meant for Buck to show you were travelling by 'SUV' and not an 'RV'.

In answer to your question, if you are happy to keep on the move and get a room for 4, I don't think it would be stressful at all and is something I would be quite comfortable with.

I don't think it really matters whether you go straight South or in a loop, you will see things of various interest with either choice. What you need to do is sit down as a group and look for things that are of interest to you and when you have some dots on the map, see how you can join them together and create a route. I say as a group because it is important to get the kid's involved and visit a place[s] that appeal to them as well. Including them will make it a more rewarding and enjoyable experience for all if they have a vested interest in it. The road trip is an individual thing, as we all have different tastes and styles of travelling but once you have got through the first stages of planning and outlined a route I am sure there are folk here who can help to fill in the blanks.
    Enjoy the planning !

7. Default

Hi. That's quite an ambitious trip you have planned! Please don't take offense but I'd scrap half the trip and forget about Niagara Falls. I'm from the Boston area - well traveled and a bit biased. I also have two teens so I think I know what you might be dealing with.

If you're starting in Boston you need to spend a few days enjoying the city. Go to Fanueil Hall, North End (Mike's Pastry on Hanover Street for cannolis), Public Garden, Prudential Tower Observation Deck (50 floors up w a great view of Fenway Park).

After Boston, go to Cape Cod and spend a few days at the beach if you can. If not, you can take a ferry from Boston to Provincetown (an all day trip) and have quite a fun day just walking around.

After Cape, drive Rt 93 N to Rt 89N up thru Vermont - stop in Burlington, VT for a night (very cool/hippy dippy town) and then drive up to Montreal for a few days. In Montreal, visit Old Montreal & make sure to take your kids jet boating on the Lachine Rapids on the St Lawrence River www.jetboatingmontreal.com. A way cool adventure! Definitely go to the Botanical Gardens in Montreal as well - world class!

Quebec City is about 3 hours east of Montreal and a beautiful city to explore if you have time. Between Montreal and Quebec City there is a beautiful waterfall called Montmorency Falls and it is more beautiful (and less touristy) than Niagara Falls. Head back into the states down Rt 93 S (a small bit of back tracking) and go thru New Hampshire and the White Mountains.

Stop at Cannon Mountain at Franconia State Park and take the chair lift up to the top for amazing views. About 15 min. down the road (Rt 93S), stop at the Flume and take a beautiful, easy hike (about 1 hr). Then it's up to you where you go but I would maybe spend another night in Boston and then go to NYC. Spend a few days there. Don't bother waiting in line to see the Statue of Liberty. You can take the Staten Island Ferry for free and it passes right past the statue. You will save yourself many hours of waiting time in line if you skip the "official" tour. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for a cool view. Hang out in Times Square at night. Take kids to the Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square. Then walk from there to Central Park. If you like museums, go to the Met and the Guggenheim.

After NYC I would go to Washington DC. Smithsonian Museums are free and there are endless things to do there. Madame Tussaud's wax museum is also there - kind of tacky - but teens will like it. Wow - I can't believe I just wrote all of this! (It's like I just took a vacation in my head.) I've been to every area that I described - some more than twice - and I don't think you'd be disappointed going to any of these spots. Just my 2 cents.

Happy travels! ~Nancy
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-28-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Phew! Added some white space for easier reading!