1. Default Honeymoon trip from NY NY to Savannah GA

My fiancee and I are looking to fly to NY NY, spend a day or 2 there then drive to Savannah GA for our honeymoon in October of 2013 stopping when the mood hits or the antique shop calls. Then spending time in Savannah before flying home to Detroit. We are looking to do this in 2 to 3 weeks and be leisurely about the trip. Has anyone done this? Any ideas on cool places to stay along the way? We love staying in B&B's. My fiancee is a planner and we would like some time to map the route and see what attractions are along it. This is our first time planning this type of trip and need some help and info.

Tucson, AZ

Default Head for the Hills

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are two great routes from New York to the South. In your case, in October, I'd strongly recommend the inland route that basically follows the Appalachian Mountains down into Georgia and then cuts over to the coast. You'll be a shade early for the best foliage color, but there should still be a nip in the air that will make for some invigorating hikes. Besides, the bulk of the summer tourists will have gone home and I would suspect that you might have more than one B&B (of which there are many in the area) to yourselves.

Default Gotta love the Appalachains

Hello shariwari,

Having lived close to the Blue Ridge all my life, and having spent the best 6 years of my life earning a 4-year degree from Appalachian State University, I am an unabashed fan of the Blue Ridge Mountains and nearby areas in NC, VA, and TN. A leisurely trip from NY/PA down the Blue Ridge Mountains would be very enjoyable for most anyone.

October is, in fact, at the very core of the autumn foliage color season in the Southern Appalachians. Peak color is very sensitive to elevation and latitude, but from southwestern VA, through NC, and into GA, the "peak" colors are normally seen in the second and third weeks of October.

That being the case, one would expect motels and B&Bs (of which there are a great many) along the primary traveler's routes, the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway to be heavily booked in October. Not to discourage you, of course, but just be aware such a trip would coincide with a high-season circumstance in the VA-NC-GA part of your trip.

And it most certainly will be chilly. You'll be at elevations at or above 3,000' in most any part of the Blue Ridge Mountains below Roanoke, VA, and there you can expect morning lows around freezing and brisk daytime highs in the 40s, 50s, and 60s.

Enjoy planning and taking your Southern Appalachian Honeymoon RoadTrip!