Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Cuddington, Cheshire, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default Miami to San Francisco

hi we are planning a trip from Miami to San Francisco. there will be three of us. and two can drive. In about 30+ nights and we are planning on staying in motels. What the best kind of car to hire for this trip. We are hopefully planning to do this in june 2013

3 nights in Miami
    2/3 nights in Orlando
    2/3 nights in Atlanta
    2 nights in Memphis
    3 nights in New Orleans
    3 nights in Dallas
    2 nights in Oklahoma City
    2 nights in Amarillo
    2 nights in Santa Fe
    2 nights in Flagstaff
    3 nights in Las Vegas
    3 nights in Los Angeles
    3 nights in San Francisco

and where the best place to stay in each place and the best things to see. Should we keep a few spare nights in hand for just in case. And should have a back up route. I welcome any help, advice and ideas advice please thanks.

Default backwards

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

As far as car rental goes, you'll get get the best value by sticking with a sedan. A midsized to full sized car should provide plenty of room for 3 people. Just keep in mind, you will be looking at a one way drop off fee, plus additional fees if any of the drivers are under at 25.

You haven't told us anything about your interests, so we can't begin to tell you what might be best for your to see.

But I have a bigger question for you: If you don't know what you want to see, how have you come up with this (or any other) schedule? It just seems backwards to pick the places you'll stop, and in many cases spend multiple days, when you haven't decided what things you want to see and do.

thanks, all the drivers are over 25. we came up with route by place we wanting to go. and so places are in a good place to stop over and to see wants there. we have a rough idea of what to see in places like memphis its graceland and the flagstaff is its the grand canyon, los angeles its hollywood ect. orlando theme parks. and to do some of the route 66.

Default A little research.

I would encourage you to make good use of the forums and other RTA pages, such as the Map centre in the tool bars above where you will find Lot's of useful info and be able to create routes, find attractions etc. I don't think you need a back up plan as such but keeping a few nights open to change and having time to wander from the City's a little would be a pretty good idea. There is so much to see and do in the US other than driving from City to City on Interstate and thats where a little research will be a big help. One example is from Santa Fe to Grand canyon where you could head up to Four corners and through Monument valley to the GC, and another would be to spend a night or 2 between LA and San Fran and take the very scenic coast road [CA 1] around Big Sur.

Do a little digging around and if you have any other questions just ask.

i am just wondering where to buy a cooler and maybe a CB radio in miami thanks

Default easy, and a bit more difficult

The cooler is the real easy part. You can get one at any big box store (walmart, target, etc) or any sporting goods store.

A CB will be a little more difficult, although not really hard. You might find them at a Big Box store, but you might have to find a Radio Shack. Otherwise, you could look at a Car Audio type store, and actually, most large truck stops have a store that should have a few CB options to pick from.

Thanks we can buy CB radio in the uk. but can we use it in the usa.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the UK and US use a different frequency band so I don't think they can be interchangeable.

If you are getting one for a roadtrip in the US, I'd probably just wait to buy it.

ok thanks i thought we might have buy it over there thanks again

we are looking to change the route and miss out dallas but we need a stop inbetween new orleans and oklahoma city. any ideas please we have 3 nights to play with.