1. Default Newbie Here. Planning RT from NY to Myrtle Beach with 2 small kids ages 5 & 2.

I'm hoping I get a decent amount of responses because I could really use the advice. We've decided to take a road trip from NY to Myrtle Beach during Spring Break. Our plan was to leave late afternoon (4-5p) drive halfway (5-6 hours) then stop overnight and continue in the morning until reaching our destination with a few stops along the way. My husband and I have never driven south before and I'm a big history/architecture buff and he's a major foodie. What are some stops off the main highway that would interest both of us & the kids. Any recommendations for sites, restaurants and overnight stops would be greatly appreciated. Right now, I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed with the abundance of information found on-line. Thanks again!

Tucson, AZ

Default Day of the Week?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well, the first thing that I noticed about your plan was the expectation that you'll get a good way down the road on the first afternoon/evening and then complete the trip the next day. Normally, that would be a perfectly fine. But in this particular case, 4 or 5 hours from New York will put you in the heart of Baltimore/Washington and make the next morning's resumption of driving problematic. If you are doing this on a weekday, you will be trying to drive through the heart of some of the worst rush hour traffic there is. Both beltways can slow to a crawl or even less. You'll be considerably better off on a Saturday or Sunday morning, but still you need to be aware of where you'll be pulling up for the night.

On the other hand, if you're willing to take a bit more of a lackadaisical approach to the drive down and want to make it a part of the vacation rather than just something to be out up with on the way to 'there', you might want to look at bypassing Baltimore, Washington and Richmond all together and taking either DE-1/US-13 down through the Delmarva Peninsula, or even more radically take the Garden State Parkway down to Cape May and cross over to Lewes, DE on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry, then cross over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel into the Norfolk area and use US-58 to reconnect to I-95. Depending on which of those you choose (and the ferry schedule if you go that way) that would put you on or around the Delmarva Peninsula for your overnight. That will make for a somewhat longer second day, but the trade-off is that you'll be seeing parts of the country that others don't and it will be more interesting than just slogging down I-95 the entire way.

While in the Myrtle Beach area, I would highly recommend a day or two spent in Charleston visiting one or two of the old plantations along River Road and taking the walking tour or one of the horse-drawn carriage tours of the historic areas of town. And as for food, in this section of the South, you have to ask! Many of the best local "restaurants" are only open one day a week and don't even look like restaurants from the outside. Ask where (and when) the best local pulled pork barbecue is offered. Oh, and be prepared for the 'sweet tea' and the subsequent sugar rush.