1. Default NC to New Orleans

We are considering an RV trip from NC to New Orleans in mid-Feb. Not going for Mardi Gras but to see the area and surrounding areas. Nature lovers, historical sites. Any Advice? Suggestions?

Tucson, AZ

Default History, Scenery and Wildlife

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Both the route(s) and the destination are steeped in history and overflowing with natural beauty. Let's start with the destination, southern Louisiana. Obviously, the French Quarter in New Orleans, but maybe not so obviously, the Creole Nature Trail in southwestern Louisiana, the old State House in Baton Rouge, the Battle of New Orleans, 8 different national wildlife refuges, and the Gulf Islands National Seashore. The one place that I have experience camping in that area is across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway at Fontainebleau State Park, and I must say that the combination of being near the city but in a whole other world was quite nice.

Now, as to routes. Sure you can take the direct route basically through Birmingham on the Interstates, but on at least one leg, out- or in-bound, you should consider heading a bit west and do a bit of the Civil War at Chattanooga, Shiloh, and Vicksburg. You can tie some of those together with a wonderful, scenic and historic route, the Natchez Trace. And of course, the lower Mississippi is another area rich in [url=]wildlife refuges.