1. Default Planning a road trip from Philadelphia, PA to Seattle, WA

Hello everyones
    I am new to this forum and I would like to take some advices from who has experienced with traveling across the country. At the end of year 2011, i am planning to drive my camry 2002 from philadelphia to seattle. I also want to see American attractions along the way. Is it safe to drive in the winter? How much will the trip cost me approximately? Which route is the most fun way to drive?
    I really appreciate your input and advices

Joplin MO

It is safe to drive in the winter, but you do have to keep track of the weather conditions and be prepared to get off the road for a while until a possible storm passes and they get the roads cleared. You also may need to change your route.

If you take the fastest route, it will be about 2850 miles. This will take you at LEAST 5 days. If you want to sightsee, you will need more days than that and will probably be driving more miles. Figure an average of $75 a night for a hotel room, and about 15 cents a mile for gas, depending on what the price is next winter and what kind of gas mileage your car gets (that would be 25 mpg at $3.75). Food is going to cost you pretty much the same as what you are paying at restaurants and grocery stores at home, most hotels do have a free breakfast of some sort.

South of England.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

As glc has mentioned above, the weather may play a part in determining your route, but there is no single 'most fun' route as that would come down to the individual and their interests. Again as glc noted, it is a minimum of a 5 day drive but you need to have a day or 2 in hand in case of weather disruption, so I would allow a minimum of a week and if the weather is kind you have an extra couple of days for sight seeing or to arrive earlier than expected. In other words, if you had to be there on the 5th [for example] don't leave it untill the 1st to hit the road.

For possible attractions that you may find fun, have a look at the Map centre in the tool bar above and other RTA pages as well as searching the forums. If you have any other specific questions just ask away !