Default Driving to Alaska

I am planning to drive to Alaska this summer from Seattle. I would like to know how many days I should figure it will take to get there from Alaska. My goal is not to make it in a minimum time but to allow some time to do sightseeing on the way up. How many miles per day is a reasonable expectation?

Also, I am going to do it in my Honda Accord. I assume that I will have no problems with this car. I do plan to bring a full sized spare with me as the donut spare that comes with the car is not good for long distances. Is there anything else I should do regarding the car?

Thanks

DON

Welcome!

Depending on where in Alaska you are going and which route you take, you are looking at around 2200 miles or so from Seattle. Considering that summer is road construction season and the speed limit through most of Canada is 50 mph, I'd allow at least 6 days.

Default Dalton Highway in Honda Accord Sedan

I am planning to do a trip to Alaska this summer. As part of the trip, I plan to drive the Dalton Highway to at least Coldfoot and maybe if I have time to Atigun Pass.

I know that you can rent a vehicle to do the drive but I was thinking of doing it in my Honda Accord. How much of the trip will be gravel and am I crazy to use my own car for this part of the trip?

DON

Moderator Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-11-2011 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Merged Threads

Welcome!

Here is a very good article on driving the Dalton. Properly prepared, your Accord can make the trip. However, you need to give it some serious thought. I personally would not drive MY vehicle on it unless I were going to be getting rid of it when I got home. If you do it, you should have 2 full size spare tires and a CB radio.

I'm driving from Maryland in June. Get yourself a Milepost 2011 magazine. It is well worth the $35. I rented a Ford Escape in May of 2009 for seven days driving around Alaska. The rental company's prohibit their vehicles on several roads including the Taylor and Dalton highways. I could't find a rental company that allowed you to drive the Dalton highway. There are two local rental companies that do allow you to drive the other roads. They are listed in the Milepost.

You must not have tried these guys.........

You are correct. I flew into Anchorage and had only Goggled rental agencies there.

Default Not just a good road - a Great Road!

Quote Originally Posted by donaldsc View Post
    I am planning to do a trip to Alaska this summer. As part of the trip, I plan to drive the Dalton Highway to at least Coldfoot and maybe if I have time to Atigun Pass.

I know that you can rent a vehicle to do the drive but I was thinking of doing it in my Honda Accord. How much of the trip will be gravel and am I crazy to use my own car for this part of the trip?

DON
    Don, most of the road north of Livengood to Prudhoe Bay is gravel. But don't let that worry you. A well maintained and cared for vehicle will do that road. Even a Honda Accord - or should I say - especially a Honda Accord. Front wheel drive will be beneficial. It is a full two day trip. Speeds rarely exceed 40mph, and mostly much less. But as for the road, it is kept in really good nick. I only recall the odd bit of washboarding and small potholes. Make sure you take plenty of time, lots of patience, and enjoy the ride. If you plan to go as far as Atunga Pass, you may as well go the rest of the way. The North Slope is treeless - though you will see tree mirages on the horizon - and, especially late in the day, swarms with Caribou. We saw much wildlife, including Arctic Fox, Owls, Bears, Moose, etc. There is also a good selection of wayside stops, though don't expect any facilities. No restrooms, etc.

On the other hand, if you are one of these folk who would be upset with stones hitting the windscreen and paintwork.... then I suggest that you not take your car there. Cosmetic damage is inevitable. Flat tyres are not. Of the dozens of folk with whom I spoke, who had driven this great road, only one had experienced a flat tyre, and that was in Prudhoe Bay itself. I am not saying it never happens, but don't expect it to be inevitable.

There is great and affordable accommodation at Wiseman. And the pub at Coldfoot is where everyone eats. All amazingly affordable, considering the remoteness. If you want to go to the Arctic Ocean, you will have to arrange that at least a week beforehand.

Lifey who can't wait to go back