1. Default Planning 3 week summer trip to California and driving from Toronto.

Just wondering if anyone could tell me what route to take, were to stop along the way, sites to see while still leaving time for relaxation. We will be 2 families (4 adults, 2 kids) in a minivan. Any advise anyone could give us would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

George

Default Insufficient Data

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Before anyone can offer you any meaningful help, you're going to have to supply at least some minimal information....

Where in California? One-way or round trip? How much of your time will be spent at your destination vs. driving? How old are the kids? And most importantly, what do you consider "relaxation"?

AZBuck

3. Default

This is going to be a round trip which I'm estimating will take us 5 days in total (2.5 days each way, not including stops). We would like to make a few stops along the way to take in some sites and understand that this will eat into our time spent in California. We're hoping to spend at least 10 days in California in one spot (home base, probably southern California) and take day trips from there. We are 4 adults and 2 kids (14 year old boy and a 10 year old girl) who don't care to go to Disney but we would like to plan something exciting for them to see. In terms of relaxation a few day's of just laying on the beach would be great.

George

Default not even close

I'm sorry, but you need to go back to square one. Your plan to drive from Toronto to Southern California in 2.5 days is simply not possible. Even if you decided to take the (quite literally) homicidal action of trying to make the trip non-stop, you'd barely be able to make it in that time. But, again, that would require ignoring the fact that you'd be more dangerous than a drunk driver by trying to cover that many miles without getting real sleep.

This is a 2500 mile trip and requires 5 full days of driving each way. That's still going to be 8-10 hours a day, and leaves only enough time to make a few small rest stops along the way. Any faster, you're going to have a car full of people who are going to be at each others throats, not able to have any fun, much less relaxation. If you want to actually stop and see some of the major sites along the way, you need to add additional time from that point.

5. Default

We have taken many long road trips in Canada and the US including Myrtle Beach twice (1000 miles) in a day and Rotonda West Florida twice ( 1500 miles ) in a day and a half. These trips were taken without consuming any alchohol, not driving like maniacs (no excesive speeding ) but also not driving like we have one foot in the grave. We simply use the mini DVD players for the kids share the driving and the adults enjoy each others company which makes time go by a little faster. I do understand that our trip there may take a few extra days so as to see the sites but our travelling time there and back (incliding time for site seeing ) will take no longer than 8 to 10 days.

I'm sorry, but driving without a proper amount of rest is very much "driving like a maniac" and every bit as dangerous as driving after consuming large amounts of alcohol. So yes, whether you'd like to admit it or not, you are driving like you have one foot in the grave.

It's the sad reality that what you have done in the past, and what you are planning to do again is a game of russian roulette that does in fact cause thousands of deaths every year. Despite fatigue being the 3rd leading cause of death on US highways, people don't take it seriously because there is no breath test or radar detector to stop people (other than professional drivers who are strictly limited from trying to do the insanely reckless thing you've proposed).

It may take a drunk driver 100 times before they are in a crash or get arrested, but that hardly means the first 99 times were safe. Please don't assume your previous actions, which you may not have even seen as being unsafe, make your current plans reasonable.

It sounds like you are bound and determined to drive far more than professional drivers are allowed to in a single day. It's your choice, but you are not going to get any support for that here. However, if you must do it, you need to use "speed run" procedures. Please note the 3 driver rotation. You must have at least 2 adults awake and alert at all times and a way for the relief drivers to sleep with a minimal degree of comfort.

8. Default

Really? I can't believe the ridiculous antics of you so called guru's/advisors. I joined this forum looking for some advice on sites to see and places to stay on our road trip, not a lecture on how to drive. I've been driving for 28 years without a speeding ticket or a DUI. We have 4 drivers in the car that allows us to traverse great distances in a single day without putting ourselves or our children in any danger. So instead of critiquing driving abilities you should focus on answering the questions posed by the people writing on this forum. The only thing I've been able to take away from this experience is that the more than 20 000 miles I've logged in road trips makes me more a "GURU" than any of you. So if you can't provide the information requested by someone, leave them alone!

You're right, we will leave you alone by closing this thread. Helping you achieve your stated goals would be make us every bit as foolish as someone who gives a keys to a drunk.

Clearly, you have no interest in worry about the safety of others, and don't recognize that speeding and drunk driving are not the only ways you can drive recklessly.

Hopefully you and your expertise that ignores all facts and logic will figure things out on your only, before you kill someone.