Thread: DC to Orlando

1. Default DC to Orlando

I am planning to drive from Washington to meet up with my family who will be flying into Orlando from London. I will be leaving DC sometime Saturday to arrive at Orlando early evening Monday. Can anyone suggest a couple of good places to visit en-route and good but cheap places for one or two overnight stays?

Tucson, AZ

Default With Time, You Get More

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Since the drive from Washington, DC to Orlando can be made in just over a day and a half, and you have roughly two and a half days for the trip, you do have time to wander off the I-95 corridor in search of some more interesting venues than South of the Border. Personally, given your parameters, I think what I would do is first head west to Front Royal and take I-81 down the Shenandoah Valley to I-77 south and spend my first overnight in Mt. Airy, the putative model for Mayberry. Depending on how early a start I got, some time on the Blue Ridge Parkway or exploring one of the natural cave sites along the way might be in order.

Day 2, I'd continue down I-77 through Charlotte to Columbia, SC and then take I-26 to join I-95, spending the evening walking the many Squares of Savannah before spending the night there. On the way down, I might visit some of the NASCAR shops in Charlotte and environs.That would leave a relatively easy day on Monday to get to Orlando with perhaps time for a tour of Okefenokee Swamp.