Default Moving from Florida to Utah

I'm a single mom with two kids (11 and 9) and due to life issues, I find myself having to move from Florida from to Utah in February. Needless to say, I'm just a little stressed. I have driven across several times during the summer, but this time I'm going to be in a 20 ft moving truck towing my car and I'm worried about the weather.

I've been trying to figure out what the best route to take. I've done the one up through Tenn. across to Nebraska and over to Utah. My question is should I try and take that route, or should I go along the southern route on 10 through Texas (a route that I have never done). Any suggestions would be great!

Default Shortest and most direct is (nearly) always the best

The smartest thing is to plan on the most direct route, or the one you're most familiar with. And then check the weather reports the day before you leave and choose a route with the least forecasted winter weather. The southern route get notoriously bad winter weather, especially in Texas. Cold weather is not the problem in winter -- moisture is. Staying to the north lessens the effects of the Gulf coast.

You'll do fine. Here are some winter driving tips!

Mark

It makes a difference exactly where in Utah you are going. Generally, the shortest route using Interstate highways exclusively is best when driving a truck and towing a car. However, I-80 across Wyoming can be brutal in the winter. I would also highly recommend that you use a car trailer and not a dolly.

Default Update :)

I'm going to be using an auto transport to tow my car and I'll be going to SLC. My biggest concern is driving through the canyons, especially Parley's heading down into the SL Valley. I've done that drive enough to know how crazy it can be, but I've never done it while in a big U-Haul in winter.

Parley's can be avoided quite easily.

Instead of staying on I-80 all the way to SLC. Detour onto I-84, and then head back to SLC on I-15. Its adds a few miles, but dramatically reduces the change in elevation.

This post goes into the detour in great detail.

Default No worries for Parley's

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowchaser View Post
    I'm going to be using an auto transport to tow my car and I'll be going to SLC. My biggest concern is driving through the canyons, especially Parley's heading down into the SL Valley. I've done that drive enough to know how crazy it can be, but I've never done it while in a big U-Haul in winter.
    It's my admittedly verbose piece on avoiding Parleys Midwest Michael linked for you.

I was just out there a couple of weeks ago (I go every year in early January). With the level of commuter traffic from the bedroom communities in and around Park City down to Salt Lake, the grade from Parley's receives LOADS of attention from the plow, salt, and sand crews. Unless you were to arrive at Echo Canyon, where I-80 from WY joins I-84 to Ogden, during a heavy snow event, I'd have no fears or worries about going down Parley's in a rental truck. It's 3 lanes all the way up from Jeremy Ranch, over the summit, and down to I-215, and tractor-trailers are always creeping down the grade in the far right lane, so you can also tuck over there and ease your way down as the commuters and skiers fly by in the other two. Unless weather were at that hour a factor, I'd probably prefer the grade down Parley's over the heavily-congested segment of I-15 from Ogden into SLC proper, when the vehicle in question was a rental truck.

Not to add to your concerns, but just give a long look to the weather in western Nebraska and Wyoming as you approach. From about North Platte through Cheyenne and into Utah is the section which I'd be focused on. Give yourself time to wait out bad weather in that high elevation part of the route. Letting a day go by idle in KC, Lincoln, or Kearney is much better than a struggle through the Medicine Bows.

Safe travels!

Foy