1. Default Is this trip too ambitious for 30 days?

I'm trying to figure out a cross country road trip from New Jersey to the west coast and back with my family in the summer of 2012. I was hoping to take 30 days to do this trip and see many great places along the way. Some of the members of my family are old so this could be a once in a lifetime and I'm trying to pack a lot in without pushing ourselves too hard.

Below is the initial itinerary I came up with. If anyone could review it and let me know the faults or if it's unrealistic I'd greatly appreciate.

New Jersey to Chattanooga, TN – Day 1 - Sleep over in Chattanooga

Chattanooga to New Orleans, LA – Day 2 - Sleep over in NOLA

- Do things in New Orleans for Day 3

New Orleans to Austin, TX – Day 4 - Sleep over in Austin

- Do things in Austin, TX for Day 5

Austin, TX to Midland, TX – Day 6 - Sleep over Midland

Midland, TX to Roswell, NM – Day 7 - Sleep over in Roswell

Roswell, NM to Santa Fe, NM – Day 8 - Sleep over in Santa Fe

- See family in Santa Fe and pick up family member – Day 9

Santa Fe, NM to Grand Canyon National Park – Day 10 - Stay near GC

- Explore Grand Canyon – Day 11

Grand Canyon to Las Vegas, NV – Day 12 - Hit slots at night and sleep over in Vegas

Las Vegas, NV to Hollywood, CA – Day 13 - Sleep over in Hollywood

- Do things in Hollywood – Day 14

Hollywood to Yosemite National Park – Day 15 - Stay overnight near Yosemite

- Do things in Yosemite – Day 16

Yosemite to Lake Tahoe, NV – Day 17 - Sleep over in Lake Tahoe

Lake Tahoe, NV to Salt Lake City, UT - Day 18 - Sleep over in SLC

Salt Lake City to Yellowstone National Park, WY – Day 19 - Stay near Yellowstone

Yellowstone to Rock Springs, WY – Day 20 - Sleep over Rock Springs

Rock Springs, WY to Colorado Springs, CO – Day 21 - Sleep over Colorado Springs

Colorado Springs to Santa Fe, NM – Day 22 - Sleep over in Santa Fe

Santa Fe, NM to Amarillo, TX - Day 23 - Sleep over in Amarillo

Amarillo, TX to Dallas, TX – Day 24 - Sleep over in Dallas

Dallas to Hot Springs, AR – Day 25 Sleep over in Hot Springs

Hot Springs, AR to Nashville, TN – Day 26 - Sleep over in Nashville

Nashville, TN to Roanoke, VA – Day 27 - Sleep over in Roanoke

Roanoke, VA to Washington, DC – Day 28 - Sleep over in Washington

Washington, DC to New Jersey – Day 29 - Spend a little time in Washington is possible, then home

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Depends on consensus

I would suggest getting the input of each member of this trip first. If it seems like too much for any one person, then you should make adjustments to your itinerary as necessary. Coast to coast is about five days of steady driving, so even if you had to make the trip shorter, you'd still have that amount of time to contend with. Of course, nothing is stopping anybody from changing their mind once you're out on the road, either.

South of England.

Default I think so.

With the info you gave in your other thread with regards to travelling as big family group, I would have to say, Yes it is too ambitious. The fact that you say some of your family are elderly is even more reason for concern. I know you mean well by trying to show them a great time with 'all there is too see' but in most cases they will be far happier to see more of less at a leisurely pace. Trying to do the 500 mile days as a couple, or as a family, is one thing but with a large group it's an entirely different ball game. A trip that must be around 8000 miles would mean travelling over 500 miles every other day and the rest rushing around trying to see as much of the Grand canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Vegas, LA and so on as you can.

It's a big responsibility and I admire you for taking it on, [but don't envy ;-) ] but I think you need to talk to the other members of the group and see what they want. You need to consider that if you are taking elderly folk on any trip, it is important to consider that you need to travel at a pace that is comfortable to them and their needs, which are most likely much different from yours or mine.

Good luck with your planning.

4. Default

Thanks for the input Tim and Dave. I had a feeling that my trip idea was a bit too ambitious, but I just wanted to see what more experienced cross country road trippers thought. Our whole family loves long road trips. We've been from NJ to Florida by car many times and love it. But perhaps this trip is a little too much for one trip.

I think we'd have to pick one or two main goals that we want to accomplish - which would probably be reach the West coast and see the Pacific and then go to one of the bigger national parks. I guess it would be a toss up between Yosemite or the Grand Canyon, since Yellowstone is far up in Wyoming and probably would be better to do that on another trip.

What do you all think? Yosemite or the Grand Canyon? That's a tough choice.

I'll certainly have to talk to my family.

South of England.

Default Both.

What do you all think? Yosemite or the Grand Canyon? That's a tough choice.
    For a West coast trip I see no reason why both could not be included

6. Default

I guess you're right because we would need to drive through Arizona to head back east.