1. Default First Time RV Roadtrip

THis will be the first time my husband and I will be renting an RV and going on a trip. We live on longisland, and are planning for a 10 day trip in mid Feburary. Anyone have any recommendation as to wear is the best to travel to from NY
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-16-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Removed Bold - there's no need to "shout"

South of England.

Default What's best for you ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Simply put there is not a single 'best place' to travel too as everyone's interests vary greatly as well as how much distance they want to travel. If you are planning an out an back trip you have more limitations but a one way trip could take you further. Of course there would be one way drop off charges on the RV and an air fare back to consider.

I would take a look around the forums and road trip planning pages above to get an idea of what it is you want to do and then perhaps we can make some suggestions. The RV could be winterised and have had the tanks drained to avoid the risk of freezing. If you use the water tanks you would be liable for any damage caused if the pipes etc were to freeze, just something to keep in mind.

3. Default

I'm not sure what's best because that depends on personal tastes. But I'd think that going South would be best. As I'm sure you know, the east and midwest has had some crazy snowstorms the last month. I'm sure the pattern is going to continue into mid February and it would be no fun to get stuck in one of those storms.

Default Slim Pickins?

Hello jolin1211,

I am not an RV'er but I suspect open campgrounds may be few and far between, even as far south as here in NC. In particular, State and local park campgrounds tend to close up during winter, both to prevent freeze-up of their water systems and to save on operating costs during the lightest-use midwinter months.

I'd get a campground guide such as Woodalls and would peruse the various National Forest unit websites, all under the USDA National Forest Service umbrella, and make some calls to determine what your camping options are.

All of that said, after checking ahead to see what'll be open, you might be interested in a trip down the Jersey Shore to Cape May, the Cape May Ferry to Delaware, and down the Delmarva Peninsula to Assateague and Chincoteague. Passenger ferry trips to Tangier Island run during summertime and may be available in winter. Further down is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, with Kiptopeake State Park on the north side and First Landings State Park right on the Bay within 5 miles of the southern end of the CBBT. You could go back through Williamsburg/Jamestown and even visit some Civil War battlegrounds in the Richmond-Fredericksburg area on the return trip.

Have fun planning and taking your RV RoadTrip!

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default There are upsides to be being off-season

It's true that many RV parks close in the winter months, but you can nearly always find hook-ups at parks that also allow month-to-month stays. I've found acceptable, and in some cases, really nice RV parks in every state in the winter months. The pace is much more laid back at these parks in February WITH THE EXCEPTION OF PARKS IN California, Nevada, Arizona, Teas and Florida. For these states, February is still prime time for snowbirds -- and the rates and congestion will be at their highest of the season.

But with a 10-day trip, you shouldn't plan on driving more than a 1200 to 1500 mile radius from Long Island. Everything takes more time to RV in the winter months.

You really ought to look at this article and take the checklist when you pick-up your RV.