Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Default Las Vegas - Kings Canyon - Sequoia - Kings Canyon -Yosemite National Park then ?

My wife and I are planning a road trip and just debating on which way to go.We have about 33 days to do a loop of the area we would like to see. I think Im a bit ambitious on my planning.
    We want to spend the first day in LA catching up on jet lag and next day drive to Los Vegas on the Saturday and on Monday head of to Death Valley then up to Sequoia NP and then Yosiemite. Mainly just a drive through to Yosemite. Could we go through Mammoth lakes or do we need to go back to fresno to get there.
    Just to fill you in on the trip I feel we might be on the road too much.
    Yosemite
    San fancisco
    Redwood National Park
    Portland
    Crater Lake
    Olympic NP
    Glacier NP
    Yellowstone NP
    Salt Lake City
    Mirror Lake
    Then onto
    Zion Np
    Bryce Canyon
    Capital Reef
    Arches NP
    Canyon Land
    Monument Valley
    Antelope Canyon
    Grand Canyon
    Painted Desert
    Phoenix
    LA and home.
    I know its a lot of driving and only have 5 weeks but its our only chance to do this.Long driving doesnt worry me too much but I think there is too much to see. Not planning at stopping overnight at each but I love my photography so who knows.
    Any help on the first bit would be grateful and advice on rest of trip would be good.Not set in stone, only tickests boked so we are coming.My map shows
    Las Vegas to Death Valley 205ks
    Death Vallet to Sequoia - Kings Canyon - 538 km
    Kings Canyon - Fresno - 86
    Fresno - Yosemite - 98 km
    John

Welcome!

I put all your waypoints into my mapping program and came up with this as the best order to do this:

LA
    Las Vegas
    Death Valley
    Yosemite via Tioga Pass
    Sequoia
    SF
    Redwoods
    Crater Lake
    Portland
    Olympic
    Glacier
    Yellowstone
    SLC
    Mirror Lake
    Zion
    Bryce
    Capitol Reef
    Canyonlands
    Arches
    Monument Valley
    Antelope Canyon
    GC
    Painted Desert
    Phoenix
    LA

This is about 6000 miles, which means you will have to average about 180 miles a day. I don't see why you can't do it, but you won't have enough time to spend multiple days at each attraction.

Default Vegas last ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Sequoia NP and Death valley do not look far apart and are not as the crow flies, but you have a mountain range between them leaving you the option of going across Tioga pass and into Yosemite and then South to Sequoia, or around the South of the mountains to Sequoia and North to Yosemite. If you are travelling during June you would also have to check that the Tioga pass is open and the snow plowing completed. It usually opens anytime between Mid May and end of June.

If you are not tied into Vegas at the beginning of your trip, you could consider leaving Vegas and DV until the end of your trip and head straight to Sequoia and Yosemite. Mapping this out while heading from SLC to Moab [Arches and Canyonlands] and then to Capitol Reef, Bryce canyon, Zion, Page/Antelope canyon, Monument valley, Grand canyon, Phoenix, Vegas, Death valley to LA came in at under 5000 miles and closer to 4750 if Phoenix wasn't a must for you, and would possibly free up some valuable sight seeing time.

THanyou for the replies and the effort you have put in.
    Decided that the best way would be to Head from La up to Sequoia,Kings Canyon and through to Yosimite via Mammoth lakes (if thats allowable then back over onto San Francisco and up.
    After working our way back to Zion then to Las Vegas, back to grand Canyon and back over to Phoenix. Looks workable and probably a few long days driving.We could always knock out Glacier Park in needed and a few others.
    We know we wont be able to spend a lot of time at the main attractions but would like to experience a bit of everything.We are putting this trip before our trip around Australia and looking forward to experiencing some of your beautiful country. You never know that we might never do OZ after seeing USA. Might be a yearly trip to US instead..
    Thanks again
    John

Default Mammoth.

Mammoth lakes is actually on the other side of mountains and not accessible from Kings canyon but you will have plenty of amazing scenery around if you don't get there. I think your trip is doable and if you can slot it in I would make an effort to get to Glacier NP.

Let us know if you have any other queries but I would spend a little time searching the forums and road trip planning pages where you will finds truck loads of useful info, Enjoy the planning !

Thankyou for your help. We arrive in early May and leave on 9yh June 2011 and not really aware of the driving and weather conditons up in the National Parks. I now have a plan but seems to grow everytime I see a new place.Is there much snow around in May or June in Places like Glacier NP or yellowstone. We have 32 mights on the road so looking forward to it.
    I know I will have to do a few big days but thats part of the fun.
    John

May and into June can certainly be considered "winter" in the highest elevations. You are traveling late enough where its not real likely that you'll have problems, but if it's a long winter, there is a chance that Tioga Pass could still be closed.

In the worst years, Going to the Sun road in Glacier has also been closed until the very end of June.

Those really are the only areas where there is much of a chance that you'll see any significant snow related problems.

There may also be some late season snow issues in Yellowstone.

i am just a traveler, but we did some of this in sept. check out my tread,fall and winter- in the fall-california sites,las vegas and grand canyon. had never done this before and came down from canada(bc) it was awsome! at end of my thread i posted what we actually did and thoughts on what to see or not see. if i can give any help ask away. we are planning a return trip next year, to check out more of utah, arizona.. beautiful area! as you will see we did it whirlwind style so i don't think you should have trouble with your time. we loved everything but crater lake, monument valley , aches np, were a few things that really surprised us.it is all so worth seeing. wish we stopped at shasta lake and carmel area longer. have fun planning your trip, this site is amazing and gives you real good thoughts!

Default Advice on Part of our Planned Trip

Hi, my wife and I are starting a 5 week road trip USA in on May 6th. The trip is made up in sections and may be too much but we think achievable- We want a bit of everything instead a lot of some.Thanks for the input so far.

It is made up of
    Los Angeles - Sequoia NP - Kings Canyon Np - Yosemite NP - San Francisco

San Francisco - Avenue of the Giants - Redwood National Park - Crater Lake National Park.

Crater Lake - Portland -Olympia - Port Angeles (Olympic NP) then onto Glacier NP.

Glacier NP- Yellowstone - Grand Teton - Salt Lake City - Bryce Canyon -Capitol Reef -Arches etc.

Monument Valley - Antelope Canyon then Brce Canyon then Vegas.

Vegas - Grand Canyon - Painted Desrt and then Phoenix - Los Angeles.

Of All this the only Place of Concern and Time consuming would Be Olympic National Park.
    Should we go from Crater Lake and maybe go to Mt Rainier istead and then to Glacier or straight to Glacier and avoid Places such as Portland,Olympia etc. Will we miss much by not going to olympic np and spending more in others.
    John
    Last edited by john.waters; 01-24-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Adding a bit more info