Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Ideas for Romantic weekend getaway

My wife and I's anniversary is comming up on April 10. We'd like to go someplace for a romantic weekend. We'd likely leave the afternoon of Friday, April 8 after both of us get off of work, and we'd return on Sunday April 10.

Aiming for something within 6 hours of South Bend, IN but will consider anything in the State of Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Ohio.

Would also prefer to avoid anything in Chicago. I don't have a problem with going through Chicago, but I don't really want to stay there or do a lot of driving around there.

Just brainstorming here...

Welcome!

I might look at something along the Lake Michigan shore in Michigan (Holland?), or maybe Door County in Wisconsin.

3. Default

I was looking at Mackinac Island and it looks like everything we want EXCEPT the fact that nothing really gets going there until May. Kind of annoying because looking at the pictures I was getting kind of excited about the idea of staying at the Grand Hotel. But they won't even take guests until April 22. I guess it is possible that we could push the trip back to late April or early May to have a belated anniversary celibration but if possible I'd like to find something we can do April 8 - 10.

Door County looks like it has a similar problem although not nearly to the extent that Mackinac island is. In fact I was just looking at a hotel there that has lower rates prior to May 5th, so that looks like a plus for that. I definatly am going to keep that one in mind. Thanks!

Default And Some Others

Actually, the two venues that immediately popped into my mind are at the very outer edge of your 6 hour limit: Door County (WI) as recommended by glc, and Mackinaw City (MI) and environs. But some others that are a little closer to home would include the Bass Islands (OH) in Lake Erie or Starved Rock State Park and Matthiessen State Park in Illinois. A little farther away, but still within 6 hours, Nauvoo (IL) and Keokuk (IA) or Amish Country around Millersburg (OH).

And you know, "not much going on" in a scenic location can be very romantic.

AZBuck

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Actually, the two venues that immediately popped into my mind are at the very outer edge of your 6 hour limit: Door County (WI) as recommended by glc, and Mackinaw City (MI) and environs. But some others that are a little closer to home would include the Bass Islands (OH) in Lake Erie or Starved Rock State Park and Matthiessen State Park in Illinois. A little farther away, but still within 6 hours, Nauvoo (IL) and Keokuk (IA) or Amish Country around Millersburg (OH).

And you know, "not much going on" in a scenic location can be very romantic.

AZBuck
    I should say that I'm not really firm on the 6 hour time limit. Definatly want someplace we can get to in an afternoon after the two of us get off of work.

Wife gets off of work at 2 PM. I normally get off between 3:30 and 4, but I can usually get off early if I ask. So it wouldn't be unreasonable for us to both get off at 2, come home and hopefully get on the road quickly after that.

Wife said she wants to go on the anniversary weekend on that rules out Makinac Island, but she suggested we might be able to go there later in the summer. Door County still looks pretty good.

My only concern is that it is possible, (not probable) that it could still snow there in early April, especially due to the lake. Just a little concerned that a late season snowfall there could potentially a lot of it.

Will look at those other ideas. I know my wife doesn't want to go camping on that weekend. She doesn't have anything against camping, she actually likes camping quite a bit. She just doesn't want to do it then.

I wouldn't go to Door County on a Friday afternoon. The Chicago traffic will kill you. I'd look up the west coast of Michigan, there's a lot of charming and romantic stuff around the lakeshore. You are less than 2 hours from Holland, for example, and it's probably less than 5 hours to Traverse City. There's quite a bit to research in between.

Default Advice from ex-Hammond-ite

Linda (wife) suggests Geneva IL (there's a nice hotel right on the river where we're going in May for her niece's wedding), or French Lick IN.

As for me, I know nothing about either place.

I lived in Batavia IL for over 20 years, and that's the next town down from Geneva. The hotel is the Herrington Inn, and 2 nights (Fri + Sat) are going to cost you from $400 to $500. It's a 4 star luxury boutique hotel and quite popular with upscale Chicago city dwellers for weekend getaways. You should be able to get there within 3 hours from South Bend unless traffic is particularly bad.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I wouldn't go to Door County on a Friday afternoon. The Chicago traffic will kill you. I'd look up the west coast of Michigan, there's a lot of charming and romantic stuff around the lakeshore. You are less than 2 hours from Holland, for example, and it's probably less than 5 hours to Traverse City. There's quite a bit to research in between.
    Good point, I didn't think about the Chicago traffic on a Friday. Thats a big negative.

I've heard about Traverse City and Holland but I don't think I've been to either. I'll have to look both of those up on Michigan's tourism site and see what they say.

Linda (wife) suggests Geneva IL (there's a nice hotel right on the river where we're going in May for her niece's wedding), or French Lick IN.
    Only thing I know about French Lick is that is where Larry Bird is from. I thought it was just a small town and nothing more. I'll have to see what they have there.

Thanks for the ideas all.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I lived in Batavia IL for over 20 years, and that's the next town down from Geneva. The hotel is the Herrington Inn, and 2 nights (Fri + Sat) are going to cost you from $400 to $500. It's a 4 star luxury boutique hotel and quite popular with upscale Chicago city dwellers for weekend getaways. You should be able to get there within 3 hours from South Bend unless traffic is particularly bad.
    Is there anything else cool to do there without getting going too close to the city? I don't mind going through Chicago on the interstates, but I don't want to drive the city streets if I can avoid it. Partially because I really don't want to do it and partially because driving the city streets would be a sure fire way for my wife's stress levels to go through the roof, which is obviously the last thing I want.

(My wife has an axiety disorder so she not only stresses easily but can also have panic attacks)