Default Help..first forum..first roadtrip

Can anyone provide me with some help on how to create/start my own forum? This is the first time using this site or any type of forum. All i need is some assistance on planning my first "sorta" roadtrip throughout parts of California. Here's what i know:

1) I would like to go for about 10 days--April 14th-24th would be ideal for me. ALthough if i cant do then, id have to go sometime during the summer.
    2) I would be flying either from EWR (newark, nj) or JFK (new york)..although i dont know which airport to fly into.
    3.) I would like to visit San Francisco, LA, Hollywood, and SanDiego..with most emphasis on san fran and san diego (unless someone provides me with reasons to do otherwise). Obviously the order of these cities is dependent on the easiest route to and from each.
    4.)I'd love to visit Indio, CA for Coachella festival which is held April 15-17 (although all those days are not necessary for me to stay there)..this would just be a perk...it's NOT mandatory.
    5.) I'd be renting a car to drive from place to place..hopefully down Pacific Coast Highway (i dont really know if i can get to all these places from one highway)
    6.) I'd be staying obviously in 3 diff hotels (san fran, san diego, and one for both Hollywood & LA..i think)
    7.) ONe or two days in each place just doesnt seem enough so i think id like to do 3-5 days each stop depending on which spot has more to offer.

Mod note] Moved post to your own dedicated thread.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 01-13-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Moved.

Default Prioritising.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

At the moment your maths do not add up. You have 10 days and to spend 3-5 days in each spot plus flying time plus travelling between the Cities and a festival doesn't fit. The most popular part of the coastal route is found from Monterey around Big Sur to Morro bay on route 1 and would take a couple of days to enjoy and arrive in LA.

Your trip is doable with a couple of days in each City with travelling but you will have to prioritise where you want to spend time. Have a look around the forums and take a look at the Map centre to familiarise yourself with distance and routes and then ask as new questions arise.

thanks for your help! im very new to this and have never been to the west coast so any help is very much appreciated. I was thinking of cutting out the festival and just do San Diego-LA-San Fran..spending 3 nights in SDiego--driving to LA and spending 3 nights there--driving to San Fran and spending 4 nights there. I see it takes about 7+ hours to drive from LA to San Fran...do you recommend just driving straight through, stopping and taking pictures or do you think it's a better idea to drive a little, then stop and spend a night along the way? I was thinking if i allowed myself 9 hours on PCH that it'd be enough time to see things, chill a bit, and be on my way to arrive at my destination by early evening (provided I left LA around 6 or 7 am)...this is a very overwhelming planning process.

LA to SF is seven hours, only if you stick to the interstate. Along the coast it is easily twice that, and 9 hours wouldn't be nearly enough even to cover the miles.

As Dave mentioned, if you want to travel the coast, you need to spend at least a night enroute.

It's also recommended that if you want to drive the coast road, drive it from north to south so the scenic turnouts are on your side of the road. That would have you fly into SF and out of SD.

What are your priorities? City life or scenery? It looks like it's city life.

Hey guys.. thanks so much for the input! I think my priority is the city life...but its imperative I travel down PCH, it's been something i've been anticipating to do for many years. So, maybe it's a good idea to extend my trip one day if its required i do an overnight through PCH??? Would that solve my problem?

Yes, you need 2 days to drive the coast road from SF to LA.

Adding a day would help, as we've said several times now. I will say, however, 2 days is a minimum. If the PCH is a major part of the trip, and you really want to explore the coast, a 3rd day (spending one night near Monterey and the other around San Luis Obispo) would give you a lot more time to see things beyond just enjoying the road itself and expand into things like Heart Castle or dig into some of the towns along the way. But that's something you'll have to decide for yourself.

Sorry if i seem to be repeating myself or don't catch on the first time around...like i said, this is all 100% new to me. You guys have been really helpful...lastly, as far as staying at hotels in san diego, san fran, and la..what specific "district" would be recommended in each to get the full experience.

You would have to do a little of your own research and see what it is that appeals to you and your budget. San Fran is a compact City and quite easy to get around using the public transport and the cable cars are part of the experience. Downtown Union square is central and in most 'like for like' cases the dearest and area's a little outside the centre you can find cheaper alternatives. A good example of these would be around Lombard and Gough near to Fort Mason which is within easy reach of the Piers and transport.

I can't help with the other City's, but LA is huge and you won't have time for the "full experience"so as said, you will need to do a little research to put yourself in the right spot for your interests and budget.

Someone might come along with some help on LA and SD but we are more about road trips than breaking things down for a City break so I would also use Web sites like Trip advisor for what you are looking for as well.

I would definitely recommend a trip to Alcatraz Island while in SF !

A couple of links with info on LA can be found here for the size of LA and getting around and here for alternative things to see. By using the search function box near to top right of page you will find Lot's more.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 01-14-2011 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Added links.